Some of the Best Kept Secrets for Buying a Home
By Sibilla Dengs, Real Estate Agent, Williamsburg Realty
You may be thinking about or just made one of the biggest decisions of your life… You want to buy a house. It may be your first or next home, no matter which, there are so many things to think about and know, so that you can make the best decision for you and your family.
The most important step is to rely on the experts and find a knowledgeable realtor! This is a partnership, so you want to be comfortable talking and sharing your must-haves and wishes with this person. They are your eyes and ears in the marketplace and you need to know that they have your best interests in mind and you can count on them to support you. Make sure they also know the community, including neighborhoods, schools, activities and much more. Your realtor is your guide and will lead you through all of the steps of the home purchase journey!
HGTV offers some Best-Kept Secrets for Buying a Home:
- Don’t try to anticipate the housing market, the best time to buy is when you find the perfect home and you can afford it.
- Keep your money where it is 3-6 months prior to buying a home. Lenders need to see that you are reliable financially, so they can get you the best loan possible.
- Get pre-approved for a mortgage, not just pre-qualified. This will save lots of time and energy throughout the process.
- Bigger is not always better, in other words you don’t need to buy the biggest, best house on the block. Find the house that works best for you and your family, and works with your budget.
- Be aware of all the additional expenses when buying a home. It isn’t just a mortgage payment; there are so many other costs, often referred to as sleeper costs, to keep in mind. Your realtor will review these with you.
- Investigate the Neighborhood in the morning at lunchtime and at night so there are no unforeseen surprises.
Insider Tip: I recommend going to see your potential home at night so you can experience it all times of the day.
- Offer an opening bid that is based on what you can afford and what you think the property is worth; make a good offer so the seller seriously considers it. Your realtor will help with property assessments and what the selling prices have been for other area homes. Sellers tend to give more serious consideration to an oddball number bid, as opposed to a nice round number like everyone else.
Williamsburg Realty Featured Listings:
Kingsmill: 225 Rivers Edge Williamsburg, VA 23185 – $1,198,000.00 / MLS # 30046597
Skimino Landing: 402 Skimino Landing Dr. Williamsburg, VA 23188 – $228,000 / MLS # 30048958
A Williamsburg resident for over 16 years and a grandmother to Frederic, mother to Susannah, and wife to Bernd, Sibilla Dengs understands how important finding a wonderful place to live and a great community is to you and your family. Having lived and traveled all over the globe, her cultured and worldly experiences bring a very unique perspective to the home buying and selling journey. Sibilla’s commitment to excellence and her clients’ needs is unparalleled and she is excited to stand by your side every step throughout this exciting process. www.williamsburgrealtyofva.com
To view HGTV’s complete list, visit: www.hgtv.com/design/decorating/clean-and-organize/10-best-kept-secrets-for-buying-a-home