Tama Ferrara, 2nd grade teacher at Matoaka Elementary School accepted her May 2017 Teacher of the Month award and gift card to School Crossing from Sherry Phipps, owner of School Crossing. Voting took place on www.williamsburgfamilies.com, and www.school-crossing.com.
Learn more about Tama Ferrara in our Q&A below.
1. How long have you been teachingand teaching at Matoaka Elementary and as a 2nd Grade teacher?
I have been teaching for over thirty years. I was a special educator for fifteen years and then I moved to regular education. I taught second grade for five years and then third grade for ten years. This is my first year back in second grade.
2. What drew you to teaching, and teaching at Matoaka Elementary?
I was one of those lucky people that knew from a young age that I wanted to teach. I loved children and I had wonderful volunteer experiences helping children that helped lead the way.
I had taught for over 20 years before I moved to Matoaka Elementary the year it opened. I thought it would be fun to be part of something new, and it has been! I loved watching the construction of the building, and the way the school has evolved over the past 10 years.
3.What perspective have you gained from being around 2nd grade children all day?
Children are amazing. They love learning new things, they ask great questions, and they are a joy to be around.
4. What do you want your students to be able to do when they leave your classroom – that you know will prepare them for further education and life in general?
I want my students to love to read so that they will seek entertainment and knowledge through books. I want them to be excited about learning and never be afraid to ask questions.
5. If you could ask parents to do one thing to help their children’s academic success what would it be?
If I could suggest parents to do one thing it would be to limit their time with electronics for the use of entertainment. There is so much to do, even in their own backyard. In Williamsburg we are also lucky to be in an area with so many historical places, museums, and family activities.
6. Do you have a favorite quote that inspires you and/or your class that you find you post, read, share or just meditate on?
Honesty is the best policy. We all make mistakes and it is important to own up to them, learn from them, and move forward.
7. Are you from Williamsburg? If not, where are you from, what brought you here?
I have lived in Williamsburg for thirty-four years. I am originally from New Jersey and Long Island. When I graduated from college I came to visit my roommate who had started teaching for Williamsburg-James City County. I fell in love with the area and so I pursued a teaching job here also.
We are lucky Tama Ferrara decided to visit her roommate!
Teacher of the Month is a partnership between School Crossing, the Virginia Gazette and WilliamsburgFamilies.com.