James City County Library hosts “A Dickens Christmas”
Friday, December 8, 2017
4:00pm to 8:30pm
James City County Library hosts “A Dickens Christmas” and you will want to bring the whole family! Food, theatre, live music, puppets, crafts, storytelling and so much more – scroll down for details!
Virginia Theatre Machine will present “Master Thespian’s Christmas Carol,” an endlessly creative version of the show performed out of their specially designed trailer. The Virginia Theatre Machine, as described on the group’s website, “attempt the grueling and stage defying act of recreating Dickens’s classic tale of redemption- in under 30 minutes! Audiences gather around this outdoor stage and share in an intimate marvel of stagecraft with full production values: Lights, Sound, Sets, Props, Puppets, Costumes, & Special-Effects.” The troupe will undertake two shows in the library parking lot — Performances at 5:30 p.m. and one at 8 p.m.
Award-winning, local favorite “Foodatude” will be on site selling snacks, meals, and hot beverages to keep the crowd warm as they take in the show. A local roasted chestnut vendor will also be set up outside selling this classic seasonal treat.
All ages will find something to enjoy among a wide selection of crafts, musical performances, historical talks, ghost story readings, period dance demonstrations, and a host of other Dickensian holiday fun in our newly-renovated Marketplace setting.
Cool things to participate in during this event – pick one, two or as many as you can!
• Food for purchase from a local favorite food truck, “Foodatude…Food With Attitude,” and Virginia Chestnuts
• Virginia Theatre Machine will present “Master Thespian’s Christmas Carol
•Youth Services area to catch the “A Christmas without Rudolph” puppet show.
• Crafts – everyone loves a good craft
• Period Dancing – so get ready to “cut a rug”
• Ghost Stories – just in case Christmas Carol doesn’t have enough ghosts for you!
• Dickens trivia, activities, and selfie station
• Performances from:
◦ WJCC Elementary Brass & Woodwind Ensemble
◦ Warhill High School String Ensemble
◦ Jamestown High School James-Tones
◦ Hornsby Middle School Hawkapella
◦ Lois Hornsby Middle School Orchestra
◦ Toano Middle School Chamber Ensemble
• Victorian parlour games
• Historical Talks- History of Virginia Christmas, History of the Traditional Christmas Dinner seen in a Christmas Carol, and a talk on Dickens’ Interest in Child Welfare
• Caroling sing-along
When attendees are ready to get out of the cold, there are plenty of things happening inside the building to check out. We’ll have fascinating talks on a variety of topics, including the history of Christmas in Virginia, a peek into how the character Tiny Tim reflects Dickens’ interest in child welfare, an overview of the components of a classic Victorian Christmas dinner (complete with a small sample of plum pudding for our guests to taste), and a look back at Virginia’s legendary Santa trains.
“We are incredibly excited to be transforming the James City County Library into a Dickensian Christmas wonderland for this brand new event,” said adult services librarian Neil Hollands. “We know that there are lots of holiday-related things to do around town this time of year, but we are hopeful that our users will jump at the chance to take part in something that is festive, educational, and completely free to attend.”
This event is FREE and open to the public. Only costs are if you purchase food from food vendor. Come and celebrate the season at the JCC Library location’s biggest event of the year! More info
27 Things To Do At Dickens Christmas
Williamsburg VA 23188