LEGO Contest! Brick by Brick LEGO Shipbuilding Contest Deadline Jan 31, 2021
2021 Virtual LEGO Event: Submissions due by January 31, 2021
The Hampton Roads Naval Museum has hosted a Lego Shipbuilding event on the first Saturday of February for the past nine years. Unfortunately, this year the event will be cancelled due to COVID—but not too worry – they are going virtual! Submissions using your own LEGO bricks are due by January 31, 2021; details can be found below.
Location: Virtual from anywhere!
Throughout the month of January, their staff will be sharing videos and Brick by Brick programming via our Facebook page. Follow our page now at: www.facebook.com/HRNavalMuseum
There are TWO virtual shipbuilding competitions! Here are the details:
Competition 1: Build a Ship at Home*
To participate in this competition, build a ship at home with your own Legos! Be creative—your ship can take any design you want.
- How to participate: When you finish building, take a photo or short video of you with your ship and send it to HRNMed@gmail.com along with your registration form. Download and save the PDF-fillable registration form from your browser here: Build at Home Virtual Registration.
- When: All entries are due by 5pm on Sunday, January 31, 2021.
- How does it work? Our staff will post one photo of each entry we receive to our Facebook page by Monday, February 1, 2021 at noon. We will pick one winner from each age category and one overall fan favorite. The fan favorite will be voted on by the visitors to our Facebook page (it’s easy to vote—just hit “like” under your favorite ship by Wednesday, February 3, 2021 at noon!). Winners will be announced on Facebook by 2pm on Saturday, February 6, 2021.
- How are ships judged? Ships will be judged based on three criteria: creativity, aesthetics (looks), and originality. You can build any kind of ship you want!
- Who can participate? There will be three age categories:
- Ages 0-5
- Ages 6-9
- Ages 10-15
- What do I get if I win? A Lego gift card! We will mail the gift card to the winners by Friday, February 12, 2021.
Competition 2: Design a Ship*
To participate in this competition, design a ship at home using Lego MLCAD! You must design one of two ships for this competition: USNS Comfort (T-AH-20) or USS Newport News (CA 148)
- How to participate: Go to https://www.ldraw.org/ and under “Get Started,” click “LDraw All-in-One Installer.” Use the automatic installer and put this free program on your computer.
- When you install the program, be sure to click “MLCAD” when it asks you which programs you want to install, because MLCAD is the program you will use to design your Lego ships. There are tutorials on YouTube for designing with MLCAD.
- Use MLCAD to design either USNS Comfort (T-AH-20) or USS Newport News (CA 148). Be sure to make your ship look as realistic as possible. Submit your completed design file to HRNMed@gmail.com, along with your completed registration form, by 5pm on Sunday, January 31, 2021. Download and save the PDF fillable registartion form from your browser here: Ship Design Virtual Registration.
- When you design the ship, you can decide if you want to make it easy, medium, hard, or expert. Get ideas for how difficult each level is by looking at our current ship plans on our website: www.hrnm.navy.mil. Click on “Education” and “Brick by Brick Shipbuilding” to see our ships.
- Easy, medium, and hard ships must be no larger than one classic Lego green base plate (10 inches x 10 inches square, or 32 Lego pips across). Expert ships must be no larger than two classic Lego green base plates put together (each base plate is 10 inches x 10 inches)
- You MUST design one of two ships: USNS Comfort (T-AH-20) or USS Newport News (CA 148)
- Save your design with your name in the file name. You’ll email this file in to participate in the competition.
- Who can participate? Anyone! There are no age limits for this competition.
- When: Submit your ship design and registration form by 5pm on Sunday, January 31, 2021.
- How does it work? HRNM staff will announce the winner of each ship design on Facebook at 2pm on Saturday, February 6, 2021.
- How are ships judged? Ships for the design competition will be judged on accuracy to the real ship and aesthetics (looks).
- What do I get if I win? A Lego gift card. Additionally, the winning designs will be used at the next Lego Shipbuilding event in February 2022, and you will be acknowledged as the winning designer!
*Please note: you can participate in both competitions! You are also welcome to submit more than one entry per person.Staff will confirm receipt of your submission, and we will also let you know if there is any issue opening your file when it arrives.
Do you have questions about either of these competitions? If so, please contact Laura at HRNMed@gmail.com, or call/text 202-494-4899.