Shelters are for temporary emergency situations to provide refuge for people who cannot find another safe location. You do not pre-register, you will register upon arrival. The the school system will be providing meals but not special diet needs. If you have dietary needs try to bring items you need. If you are able, bring bedding, medications, and other items you would need for approximately 4 days. If you are going to a shelter that takes in pets make sure to bring your pet supplies. Storm Shelters for Hurricane Florence are listed below. There is also an extensive list of shelters at Wavy.com
- Phenix School, 1061 Big Bethel Road – Storm shelter for general population and those with medical needs. If you need transportation to a shelter or assistance call 311.
- Bethel High School, 1067 Big Bethel Road. Storm shelter for residents with pets. Note** this shelter has room for 70 animals (size dependant) Owners need to bring crates, food and bedding and other pet supplies. If you need transportation to a shelter or assistance call 311.
- Windsor High School – 24 CHURCH STREET, WINDSOR, VA 23487. Note**The Isle of Wight County Hurricane Florence public information number is 757-365-6205. This number will be manned continually until the storm passes and the County Emergency Operations Center is closed.
- As of Thursday at noon JCC Facebook page said: “due to recent forecasts for our area did not warrant the opening of a County shelter. We urge residents not to shelter at The College of William & Mary, as it is intended for mandatory evacuees from coastal areas in Virginia and North Carolina. Instead, it is recommended that residents who choose to leave should first go to their family or friends for shelter.” The Citizen Inquiry Line will be active from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Thursday and Friday. For additional questions, call 757-564-2140.
- York County has ceased shelter operations at Tabb High School and consolidated sheltering with the state at its shelter located at Christopher Newport University. Residents may also seek shelter at the state-run facility at William and Mary. York County offices, courts, and libraries are open Friday. Garbage and recycling collections are on normal schedule tomorrow. York County Public Schools are closed Friday. Full details at www.yorkcounty.gov.
State Operated Shelters to assist residents leaving areas under mandatory evacuation orders:
- McCormack-Nagelsen Tennis Center at 705 S. Henry Street on William & Mary’s campus
- Christopher Newport University
Links to keep you informed:
The Virginia Department of Emergency Management and Ready Virginia at www.readyvirginia.gov .
Zones: In the event of an evacuation please refer to your Zone. If you do not know what Zone you live in, visit: http://bit.ly/