Amphibians & Reptiles Week
September 21 – 27, 2020
Hours: 9 AM – 5 PM
Enjoy displays of “never-before-or-seldom-seen” animals that are part of the VLM Animal collection, such as:
- The newly hatched spotted turtles
- Our Yellow-bellied and Red-eared Slider hatchlings
- Our two-headed Red-eared Slider
- The Gila Monster
- A couple of our ambassador snakes, like the Mole Kingsnake and Northern Watersnake.
- A cuban treefrog
- A few of our Fowler’s toads in an exhibit where people can see them up-close.
- Plus, ambassador animals (many of your favorites) may be available for viewing!
INFO MONDAY– Learn about local amphibian and reptile groups Reptile Education of Virginia, and Virginia Herpetological Society and how they partner to secure both native and exotic reptiles and amphibians locally. Plus, live animals and a display on alligator enrichment!
TURTLE TUESDAY – See our baby spotted turtles, baby sliders, and Painted Turtles and learn about Baby Turtle Enrichment.
WIGGLY WEDNESSSSSDAY – You guessed it! Meet a variety of snakes, the Gila MOnster, Spotted Salamanders, and the Barred Tiger Salamander. Learn how the Gila Monster gets enrichment from a quail egg!
TOAD-ALY TAIL-LESS THURSDAY – Meet the Fowler’s Toads and Cuban Treefrog. Learn how the VLM conducts Toad enrichment.
TGIF – Thank Goodness It’s (2-headed Turtle) Friday – Better believe it! The VLM put our Two-Headed Turtle hatchling on display, and learn how we enrich and feed this amazing turtle.
Cost included in museum admission.
Displays will be found on the upper and lower level of the museum main building.
NOTE: all COVID-19 CDC recommendations will be enforced – masks required and social distancing
Virginia Living Museum
524 J Clyde Morris Blvd,
Newport News, VA 23601