These do not represent all the votes that teachers receive and we have teachers that have been voted for that are not listed below because no comment was submited. You do not have to write a comment to vote for a teacher. But since we have so many great comments we wanted to share them so the teachers could read all the wonderful things parents and the community have written about them.
We update the list monthly, so check back after the 25th of each month! If you want to vote for your teacher or learn more about Williamsburg’s Choice Teacher of the Month visit here. The program is a partnership between School Crossing, The Virginia Gazette and WilliamsburgFamilies.com.
- Mrs. Abrahams has impressed me with her dedication to both her students and the learning process! ~Sonya H.
- She is magical. She’s calm and fun, creative, energetic and patient with the sweetest voice and heart…an absolute perfect match for 3 year olds. ~Laurel H.
Mrs. Bunny Akers – Warhill High School
- As a lifelong resident of Williamsburg, Mrs. Akers was my English teacher at Lafayette High School; almost 30 years has past and she is now leading the English Department at Warhill High School, and teaching my son in Advanced English 11. Her enthusiasm for teaching English and inspiring her students has not changed. Her smile and enthusiasm is completely the same as when I was in her classroom. Mrs. Akers also gives much of her time to leading all of the clubs at WHS, and the SCA–very time consuming activities. She has supported the PTSA in numerous events, and we are grateful to her for being such an inspiring leading in and out of the classroom. Vote for Bunny! ~Elizabeth O.
Mrs. Susan Alis – Matthew Whaley Elementary
- My daughter is so enthusiastic to go to school. She thinks so highly of Mrs Alis and is anxious every morning to go to school. Mrs Alis has a great personality and very easy to approach. ~Guylaine T.
- She is the most inspiring teacher each of my daughters have been blessed with. She takes the time to really listen to her students, ask deeper questions to truly assess their interests and understanding, and doesn’t stop when she’s checked the requisite box on the spreadsheet. She takes the time and cares enough to teach the child, not the data point.
- I think Mrs. Alis is the teacher of the month is because she lets us play fun games and reads great books. ~Carl
- She has so much energy and a lovely welcome smile. Students love her and so do the parents. ~Hui
- She the best and she I have seen my son’s huge improvement and the year progresses. ~Jacob B
- She has the qualities of helping students in order to make progress and improve their points of weakness. ~R. K.
Mrs. Judy Allen – Walnut Hills Baptist Church Learning Center
- “Miss” Judy strives to ensure every child is ready for Kindergarten – and boy, are they ready! ~Michele D.
- She is truly the best. She is so full of energy and truly loves the job she does. She loves the children and they love her right back. Her class is so amazing and the children really benefit from everything she has been teaching them. She is quite an asset to the school! ~Gillian G.
- She is an amazing teacher who makes student feel special all while engaging them in hands on exciting learning activities. The kids are always moving and learning in a hands on environment. They have science centers, sensory centers, and outside exploration – just to name a few. My son has flourished in her class because she builds his self confidence during every activity. She is warm and welcoming and has made this class feel like a family. ~Erin H.
Mrs. Kerry Armbruster – Matthew Whaley Elementary
- She is awesome! Tons of experience and really knows how to help kindergarteners (and their parents) adjust to life as an elementary schooler. Does a great job communicating with parents, plans and executes inquiry-based lessons all the time, etc, etc, etc!!! ~Katie M.
- We were SO lucky to get Mrs. Armbruster as our daughter’s kindergarten teacher. She is absolutely amazing. She uses positive reinforcement constantly and that is just what my daughter, Allissa, needed to succeed. Watching her teach or even interact with the children is wondrous. Mrs. Armbruster made my timid little girl blossom into a child who loves learning. Mrs. Armbruster, without a doubt, deserves to win Teacher of the Month. ~Cassandra
- She is the most amazing teacher. She will go out of her way to help any child. She demands respect while also teaching the children the values of life and learning. ~Carol T.
- She is amazing. She is the most encouraging, kindest, and happiest person! You could not find a better kindergarten teacher on this planet! ~Katherine A.
- Mrs. Armbruster is energetic, talented, and capable. She teaches each child effectively and efficiently, measuring his/her abilities, and then planning instruction to meet that level and foster growth. The children love learning because of her enthusiasm. She puts time and skill into all she does and the children emerge from her room in June not only well-prepared for first grade but loving to learn. Mrs. Armbruster epitomizes what every teacher should be–filled with smiles, energy, enthusiasm, and a love for teaching. ~Judy J.
- This is our second year in a row having Mrs. Armbruster as a teacher for our kids. Our first grader and our kindergartner are polar opposites, but agree that Mrs. Armbruster is the reason that going to school was so easy to do. Starting school is hard for kids; it’s hard for parents. Somehow, she makes it perfect. They get out of the car in the morning and run into school laughing. They love learning, because Mrs. Armbruster is the epitome of a great teacher. And one major reason for that is Mrs. Armbruster. She has the most welcoming classroom, the most kind personality, and is an absolute treasure to community. ~Katherine A.
Mrs. Emily Bartolotta
- Mrs. B is one of a kind! Her passion and ability to bring new ways to teach her class are above and beyond anything I could ever ask for in a teacher for my son. She sees each child as the wonderful individuals they are and embraces them. ~Sarah B.
- I just can’t begin to describe adequately how awesome Mrs B is. Mrs B makes all her students feel special. She finds out what works for them in their individual learning styles and expands on it. Best teacher EVER! ~Sarah B.
Mrs. Sue Barton – Williamsburg Parent Co-Op preschool
- Mrs Barton had the patience of a saint while being firm and consistent. This makes for the best of both worlds for preschoolers. She helps the children learn through play and makes them feel like super stars. ~Kerry T.
Michael Bartusiak – Toano Middle
- Because of Mr. Bartusiak’s dedication to his students, they have earned a special appreciation for band. Many of them return to band, not because they love it, but because they love him. Not only does he make time to help the students any way he can, he also works with parents. As teachers who don’t specialize in Math or English, or other core classes, music teachers are often unnoticed. I would love to see someone as great as Mr. Bartusiak get some of the recognition they deserve. ~Gina K.
Laurie Bell – Newtown United Methodist
- She is amazing with the kids…such a sweet, caring teacher. She really knows how to work with the kids and get them ready for Kindergarten. ~Stacy F.
- Laurie is the definition of kind, patient and nurturing. I have been fortunate enough to have her for a teacher for both of my children. ~Sarah-Jane B.
Mrs. Kelsey Beville – DJ Montague Elementary
- Mrs. Beville is very supportive, patient, structured, and has excellent communication with my child and myself as the parent. She is very open minded and always trying new things to help her students succeed. ~Kathy K.
Mrs. Michelle Bonner – Stonehouse Elementary
- Mrs. Bonner is an amazing teacher who cares deeply for her students. She treats them as she would her own children. You can see her passion for teaching and for her students every single day. While every Kindergarten teacher is absolutely incredible, Mrs. Bonner makes a life long impression on every single child in her class. She deserves to be recognized for her passion, hard work, and dedication to her students and her job. ~Karen H.
- She is very loving with all the children. Takes her time and listens to all the needs of them individually. She also helped my daughter through a very difficult time by taking extra time, talking her through things and just being patient. ~Stephanie
Ms. Patricia Boyd – Norge Elementary
- Ms. Boyd has been teaching young children for 42 years. Her commitment and dedication to her profession is honorable and impressive. She is confident and focused in her style; it’s obvious she takes the challenge of “shaping young minds” very seriously. She “runs a tight ship” but always seems to know when her student just needs a hug! Children benefit from not only learning academically, but also life lessons and study habits that will have a positive impact on the rest of their lives. James City County is blessed to have Ms. Boyd as an Educator, Mentor, Role Model, & Friend! ~Beth W.
Mrs. Leanne Boyer – Stonehouse Elementary
- She stepped up this year and is a teacher for my sons 4th grade class. She is always in communication and has nothing but nice things to say about her students. Her students say the same thing about her that she is the best teacher and that she understands them. ~Stacey
Mrs. Lisa Broadowski
- She truly cares for her students and makes them feel comfortable even at an awkward time in their lives! My daughter looks forward to school every day thanks to Mrs. B! ~Bonnie W.
Mrs. Jane Broe – Matoaka Elementary
- Mrs. Broe runs a tight ship! That is what I heard when I found out my daughter was going to have her for 1st grade. I was worried at first I have a very head strong little girl. But Mrs. Broe understood this and helped my daughter in so many ways beyond just following the rules of school. She prepared and taught her all the essentials for her to succeed though out her school career. My daughter will still visit her daily on her way up to 2nd grade. ~Lisa.
- I can’t imagine anyone who deserves to be named Teacher of the Month more than Mrs. Broe. Her passion for teaching, even after thirty four years, is obvious to anyone who’s talked with her and been in her classroom. I am so impressed with the way she engages the kids in meaningful activities according to their abilities and needs. She knows how to challenge each one of her students while at the same time making sure he/she gets the necessary encouragement so important for the confidence of early learners. Her different uses of group work are exemplary, and her organizational skills–admirable. As an educator myself I realize how much work it takes to run a classroom as smoothly and seemingly effortlessly as she does hers. As a parent, I am forever grateful for the extensive weekly updates and monthly slideshows, which allow me to take a peek into the exciting life of my daughter at school. ~Margarita
Mrs. Debbie Buckley – Dare Elementary
- Deb Buckley has been teaching for 20+ years — first in Montana before moving to York County, Virginia. As a human being, Mrs. Buckley has always been an optimistic and cheerful person, never letting the knocks in life get her down. She brings joy to her classroom every year. Her students have loved her and remembered her long after having her as a teacher. They remember her loving ways of teaching and all the compassion she exudes. She’s one of the finest in the educational profession. ~Lisa B.
Mrs. Robin Burford – Clara Byrd Baker Elementary
- I have never met a teacher who is more passionate about her role in my child’s life. She truly understands that each child is unique and learns in different ways. My son has had some medical issues recently but he didn’t want to miss school because he loves Mrs. Burford! ~Kari I.
- Mrs. Burford is a wonderful and kind-hearted teacher. She inspires her students to do their best and instills and promotes a love for learning in her classroom! All of her kindergarten students are lucky to have her as a teacher! ~Karen K.
Mrs. Maria Burns – Providence Classical
- Mrs. Burns loves her students and nurtures not just their minds but their spirits, too. She has a wonderful balance between kindness and discipline. ~Joanie
Mrs. Charlotte Busch – Matthew Whaley Elementary
- Mrs. Busch has taught 3 of my 6 children and every time she gets one of them, they emerge from her classroom smarter, happier, brighter, and a better person. She not only teaches them 2nd grade levels, but encourages them to reach beyond what they can do. She makes her children better people and encourages them to be compassionate and considerate people. Her classroom is built for the comfort and structure of 6 and 7 year olds, and she makes their days fun! ~Jennifer C.
- Mrs. Busch is dedicated to each child 150%. She goes above and beyond the requirements for teaching second grade. She recognizes each child’s strengths and weaknesses and and adapts the curriculum to fit their needs if necessary. She makes learning fun for the kids and also teaches them the importance of following rules and respecting others. When my son was in her class a couple of years ago, he was not applying himself in the area of writing. She was extremely concerned and called me. She came up with some extra guidelines to help him be more organized in his writing. He has not had a teacher since that has been as invested in both him and his fellow classmates. She is the ideal teacher. I wish her work ethic, compassion, knowledge and ability to teach children both individually and as a group could be role modeled in the school system. She is an asset to the school and I am blessed to have had two kids end up with her as their teacher. ~Amy C.
Mrs. Patricia Byrd-Pritchett – Matoaka Elementary
- Mrs. Byrd-Pritchett is simply wonderful with her 2nd grade class! She has been a teacher for many, many years. Her love of teaching is evident by her structure in the classroom alongside with her balance of nurturing she is able to help mold the future of her students. I couldn’t have asked for a better fit for my son. Thank you Mrs. Pritchett! ~Madeline B.
Ms. Elizabeth Caine – Warhill High School
- She teaches orchestra. She loves her job and it shows. She is enthusiastic about her students achievements. Her students admire her. ~Jill M.
Ms. Rebecca Callis – Goddard School
- She shows an interest in every kid. She challenges those who need it and works with those who may need extra help/time. She listens to their stories and laughs at their jokes. She is tough and lovable. Kids respect her because she respects them. ~Jill M.
Cynthia Campbell – Rawls Byrd
- Most everyone knows music helps trigger the brain’s ability to think and recall information that is heard, read, seen, spoken, and sung. Whether a student is memorizing lyrics for a tune or choreography for a patriotic or seasonal musical, music is the underlying heart beat of education. Cynthia Campbell knows all too well the importance of instilling music into the lives of children. Her enthusiasm for creating and producing costumes, organizing dance routines, and scripting narrations for school productions is generously met by parents who are quick to assist Cynthia with such tasks. While she goes about daily planning and organizing her classes at Rawls Byrd Elementary School, she is also helping every student become more proficient in their other classes, particularly math and science. Whether it is playing her accordion, piano, African drums, harp, or other instruments, Ms. Campbell certainly displays, for her children, her dedication to the arts. In addition to her expertise she shares in her school classroom, Cynthia Campbell also serves our community by directing students in the Williamsburg Youth Harp Society. This group began at Rawls Byrd where students used to gather every Thursday and Friday from 8:30 a.m. until 9:20 a.m. before the school day began with the sound of a bell. Today the group has grown and serves students from within the James City County population. They are committed to serving our community by playing at Williamsburg Sentara Community Hospital, Great Wolf Lodge, and area churches. It is because of her ongoing dedication to students, and for her love of music which she continuously displays, that I highly recommend Ms. Cynthia Campbell as a recipient of your award, Teacher of the Month. What makes a music teacher most proud of their students? Perhaps the knowledge that their former students have chosen to follow in their foot steps by attending college and majoring in music. Just ask Ms. Cynthia Campbell!
Ms. Capano – DJ Elementary
- Ms. Capano is new to the WJCC school system. Her first year teaching was 2011-12. My daughter was in her 5th grade classroom. She was a natural at making learning fun. That phrase is used a lot, and many feel it is equal to just playing. But in reality to make learning a SOL criteria fun is to teach the children that knowledge is worth their time, it is important and powerful. This creates life long learners! My daughter still talks about many of the activities Ms. Capano did with her students last year. She trusted them, gave them guidance, but freedom. Freedom to choose how they learn best, opportunities to connect with each other and with her. The 5th Grade Team at DJ is truly an awesome team; Mrs. Tighe and Mrs. Strawn work with Ms. Capano to create an amazing educational year for all the children in 5th grade at DJ. Their innovation with regard to engaging children and families is what teaching is all about! ~Michelle C.
- Miss Capano is a phenomenal teacher. She works hard to engage all of her students and truly makes learning fun! She established a classroom community that was warm and welcoming to my son when he transferred to DJ in the middle of the year. Her students enjoy science experiments and hands on activities. Most importantly, she cares deeply for her students and meets their individual needs regardless of their social, emotional, and educational abilities! ~Kristin C.
Mrs. Griselda Carlsen – Norge Elementary
- Mrs. Carlsen is completely dedicated to her children. She loves them dearly and ensures that they are getting individualized attention every day. ~Stephanie A.
Mrs. Rosalind Carmon – Stonehouse Elementary
- She’s a very understanding teacher! ~Lisa V.
- Mrs. Carmon is a patient, kind caring teacher. I can’t imagine having gone through our first year of school without her. She has made it such a positive experience as well as successfully teaching my child to read and write. ~Stacy.
Mrs. Merry Carter – Tabb Elementary School; 3rd Grade
- Mrs. Carter does an excellent job keeping parents and students informed of their homework assignments, grades and upcoming events. She responds in a timely manner to any questions or concerns raised by parents. Even before my child was diagnosed with social anxiety, she made adjustments in her teaching style to accommodate his needs. Just a wonderful, natural teacher!
Mrs. Sonya Cater – Berkley Middle School
- Mrs. Cater has the most positive up-beet attitude of any teacher I have come across in the public school system. Both of my daughters have had Mrs. Cater for foreign language. They look forward to attending school each day just for Mrs. Cater’s class. She corresponds with the parents of her students frequently which in my book is a number one priority. Lastly she obviously deals with middle schoolers on a daily basis so that deserves sainthood! Please consider her for Teacher of the Year. ~Stephanie G.
Mrs. Saleena Chamblee – Berkeley Middle School
- Mrs. Chamblee goes above and beyond! My son was a terror in her class before his medication was adequately adjusted; he was very near being sent to an alternative setting. I begged all of his teachers to give him a chance while his doctor and I worked diligently to adjust the meds. While all of his teachers did an outstanding job in working with us, Mrs. Chamblee just had a bit of a qualitative difference with my son. Beyond this, she sends all of the parents updates and study guides so that we, along with her and her assistant, can provide our kids with the best of all opportunities for success! She is a straight shooter, plays it like she sees it, and has the children’s best interest in mind. This is a very difficult choice to have to make as I think all of the teachers at Berkeley at FANTASTIC. She is the epitome of Bulldog Pride!! ~Brenda L.
Mrs. Donna Chantry – Matoaka Elementary
- Mrs. Chantry makes the classroom an exciting, yet nurturing, place that everyone wants to be a part of! Her bubbly personality only pales in comparison to her skilled teaching techniques. She’s able to get even the shyest of children to become confident, self assured, and participatory. If everyone started out school with a teacher like Mrs. Chantry, the world would be a better place! ~Laureen W.
- Only a month into the school year and what an impact Mrs. Chantry has made on our daughter. We are impressed with her innovation and enthusiasm at keeping the kindergarteners engaged. I personally love how much fun my daughter is having learning new things but not recognizing that the work she is doing pushes her to a higher level of challenge. ~Elisa L.
Mr. Mike Charlton – Hornsby Middle
- Simply put, students love Mr. Charlton. He’s the “cool” teacher that all the students wish they could take. He has an amazing enthusiasm for teaching that has been seen since the first days of school at Hornsby. He makes learning music fun for the kids and by doing that, makes them want to learn. ~Beth M.
Mrs. Michelle Clauberg – King of Glory Preschool
- Michelle is a fantastic teacher! She teaches kids how to become independent in a fun loving fashion. But the main reason why I feel she should win is because the director of the school had to take a medical leave for for several months and she stepped up to the plate and not only became an acting director, but continued teaching as well. She did such an amazing job; neither the office aspect of the school or her own classroom suffered in anyway shape of form. She upheld the office and the classroom perfectly. ~Jessica K.
Mrs Liz Claud – Chesterfield Community High School
- Liz is a second year art teacher and has organized and carried out multiple fun and bonding activities for the students and staff of Chesterfield Community High School. Activity for students and faculty: Noodle Ball During our Eagle Time on Friday students (who had signed up in advance) played teachers (who had signed up in advance) in Noodle Ball. A game played in the gym using field hockey rules but played with water noodles and a soft plastic kickball. It was great to watch the students interact with the adults in a fun competition. Activity 2: Oyster Fry for faculty and their families. Liz’s parents have a farm house on the river and invited all the faculty and their families to an oyster fry on a Saturday. A place where the faculty could come together with their families and do something different…Oyster dig and fry!? ~Tami M.
Mrs. Cobb – Clara Byrd Baker Elementary
- Mrs. Cobb is consistently working for her students and their families. She is fun, caring and smart. My son is loving to learn and I can’t believe how fast he is learning from her. I thank her for instilling the joy of learning and discovery in my son. ~Natalie B.
Mrs. Coffey& Mrs. Soule – New Town Methodist Preschool
- Kathy and Victoria are a dynamite team. Each and every day it is clear that every single aspect of the day is planned for and made fun, purposeful, and full of learning. These two are incredibly professional, experts at teaching three and four year olds, and clearly enjoying and loving all their children. And they are selfless like so many teachers and deserving of a huge public THANK YOU! ~Erin B.
- Mrs. Coffey and Mrs. Soule are an amazing teacher team and it really shows. They are both loving, dedicated, and patient preschool teachers and I am so thankful for both of them. ~Tanisha J.
- They are terrific every single day. You can tell this is their calling! ~Kerry H.
Mr. Bryan Cole – Matthew Whaley
- Mr. Cole is a teacher that really cares and connects with every child. He goes above and beyond to make learning fun for his students. Although teachers are held to a very rigorous schedule to fit in all the SOL requirements, he goes outside the box to make sure his students are just memorizing the material but they actually understand and can apply the material. This is why his students are eager to go to school when they are in his class, because he is there for them. He is facilitating their growing process. ~Victoria.
- Mr. Cole is an amazing teacher! He makes learning fun and the kids love him because of it! He is an asset to Matthew Whaley! ~Tracie S.
Ms. Collins – Stonehouse Elementary
- Ms. Collins is the speech teacher at Stonehouse Elementary. She has been working with my son (who is now in 5th grade) for a couple of years. My son has had issues with some pronunciation, proper pausing, and processing issues. Through her assistance his diction has improved but he still has processing issues. We have been undergoing testing to try to determine the root cause of these processing issues.
- What really stands out for me about Ms. Collins is that she told me that she has to miss our child study meeting because she is attending a conference (that she paid for out of pocket) and that she specifically signed up for this conference because of my son. There is an expert speaking there about children with similar issues to my son. I don’t know how many other teachers would do this. But in my mind, for her to pay for this conference and feel driven to attend because of my son makes me in awe for her and so grateful that she works in our school. This is over and above any expectations that I would ever have.
Mrs. Jennifer Connor – JB Blayton
- Mrs. Connor has a way of making learning interesting and fun. She keeps the kids interest and eager for knowledge. She is patient when needed and expects from her students on an appropriate level. ~Melissa G.
Ms. Shirley Conner – Hornsby Middle School
- Ms. Conner has helped make my daughter’s adjustment to middle school so much easier! She has been wonderful about recognizing when my daughter might need some extra help & attention. She is an awesome teacher! ~Melissa C.
Mr. Benjamin Cottingham – J. Blaine Blayton
- At first, we were unsure of having a male teacher, but undoubtedly so now we are pleased to have Mr. C as our favorite teacher in the running. Mr. C has a teaching style that is very relatable to the children as it should be. My daughter loves to learn from him. She always tells me how much she looks forward to school because she cannot wait to hear Mr. C’s praises. Mr. C also works in conjunction with SHIP to teach healthy living and diet. He emphasis exercise as well. I feel like he has a natural ability to love and nurture our children. Thanks Mr. C. we Love you:) ~Jennifer F.
Mrs. Julie Cretacci – Magruder Elementary
- She is an amazing teacher that works with my “special” pre-k and makes sure his needs are met so he gets the best possible experience from school regardless of his special needs. ~Jessica S.
- Mrs. Cretacci truly cares about each child in her class. She is able to cater her teaching style to best meet each individual learning style of each child in her class. She goes above and beyond by ensuring the child’s needs are met whether it is a child with a food allergy or a child with a health condition (my child has both) and she is amazing. My son has been in her PK class for two years and he has developed tremendously since he entered her class and I can’t thank her and Mrs. Collins enough. Thanks Mrs. Cretacci for your great work!!
Mrs. Dansereau – Clara Byrd Baker Elementary
- Mrs. Dansereau manages her classroom with a perfect balance of disciplined learning and flexible fun! She inspires, comforts, encourages and supports her students as they navigate being 8 years old! And she is equally as attentive to parents, always taking the time to respond to emails and phone calls. Mrs. Dansereau is a wonderful teacher – equally loved by the children and parents of CBB 3rd graders! ~Kristen C.
- Joanne Dansereau is a great teacher! She has the ability to teach all children and address all of their individual needs. She really understands her students needs and cares about each and every one of them! She keeps the parents informed and actively involved. Our 3rd graders at CBB are very lucky to have her! ~Patty S.
Mrs. Erin Darcy – Norge Elementary
- Mrs. Darcy is a wonderful teacher. She is exciting and fun and the students feel completely comfortable with her. Her passion for teaching is evident everyday in the way that she treat the students in her class. She recognizes their strengths and weaknesses and works with them to ensure that they excel. ~Stephanie A.
- Mrs. Darcy is a teacher who is passionate about educating. She find students strengths and build on them. She has a way of giving kids is her classroom confidence and positive self-esteem. She is an amazing teacher, and a wonderful person! ~Beth D.
Mrs. Betsy Darling – King of Glory
- The sweetest and most kind preschool teacher ever. Very caring without being too over gushing! The students respect her and l have seen her interact with them–the great thing is she respects them! A kinder soul with a love for teaching you will NOT find. ~Louise P.
Mrs. Sandra Davie – Gateway Elementary
- She is a great teacher and she always can get through to us she deserves to win because she can always help us. ~P.
Ms. Amy Davis – Berkeley
- Ms. Davis is an awesome music teacher! She is patient with her students and very encouraging as they learn to play their instruments. Ms. Davis is kind, thoughtful and a favorite among many students. ~Marie L.
Ms. Muricia Davis – Matthew Whaley Elementary
- Ms. Davis goes above and beyond to make her kindergarteners relaxed and comfortable those first few weeks in the new school year. My son hit a little bump in the road a few weeks in but she worked with him and even sent me pictures of him calmed down to reassure me! He is now more independent from it and is reading and writing new words every day. He looks forward to school. I couldn’t be more happy for my kindergartener!! ~Nicole
Mrs. Sally DeSpirito – Clara Byrd Baker Elementary
- She is brimming with exuberance to give her third graders the skills they need to succeed. She does this through her memorable lesson plans, communication with her students’ parents and ensuring no one slips through the cracks by donating her personal time for one on one instruction after school. ~Sherry H.
Mrs. Tiffany Dormire – Magruder Elementary
- Mrs. Dormire has taught my son to be self disciplined in learning and eager to learn all that he can learn. As a parent, she has taught me to allow my son to try on his own and offer encouragement just like when he was saying his first words and after he tries and I have encouraged then we can try to figure it out. This teaches patience but is a constant reminder that my child is having to learn something new just like he was doing when he was one and I was supportive, patient, excited and proud of him and I need to continue to be that way. Mrs. Dormire has been my son’s first grade teacher for a few month’s and he has achieved so much knowledge in that time. Her teaching style is one that allows the child to excel and want to learn. He comes home excited to share what he has learned and is eager to begin his homework to learn more. Mrs. Dormire ensures that the parents are fully envolved in the learning process. She sends home weekly and monthly letters so that we know exactly what the students are learning, how we can support them and what is expected of them. I am so thankful that she is so devotived to loving her job. ~Tennille P.
- Mrs. Dormire is a wonderful teacher. I was impress how she was interacting with the kids. She makes learning fun by incorporating a lot of singing and rhyming when teaching the kids math. My daughter likes her very much. ~Alina M.
Ms. Amelie Drake – D.J. Montague
- Ms. Drake is my son’s 2nd grade teacher. She is phenomenal! She always has time before and/or after school to discuss Thrysten’s latest adventure. She has never failed me in successfully providing me with resources and / or suggestions. ~Dawn H.
Mrs. Dwyer – Hornsby Middle
- I think Mrs.Dwyer should win because she is very nice all the time and she deserves to win this!! ~Mike
Mrs. Amy Eggart
- Amy takes the time to understand her students. She connects with them in a way where the student is comfortable asking for help. She communicates with parents well. ~Seema
Mrs. Anita Ellis – Hornsby Middle
- Mrs. Anita Ellis was by far one of my favorite teachers in the 6th grade. Not only was her personality fun and exciting she made learning fun and exciting whenever it was on the Indians or Jamestown. She wanted you to think outside the box and try new things. I know because of that Ms. Ellis made me grow as a historian, student and Hawk. ~Ava P.
Mrs. Alison Epperson – Stonehouse Elementary
- Mrs. Epperson is more than a teacher, she is a caregiver…giving of her care, concern and hope for every one of her students. Thank you Mrs. Epperson for helping to teach our child not just from a book, but from your heart. Life’s Lessons can be difficult, but with Mrs. Epperson’s guidance, our son is learning those lessons. ~Megan D.
Ms. Jessica Epps – Hornsby Middle
- Ms. Epps requested a conference for my daughter who gets A’s and B’s. I was surprised. I’ve never been asked for a conference before. She could pinpoint the time my daughter started to get a little behind to a week she was ill during last school year. I didn’t even remember she had been ill! Ms. Epps wants to make sure we get her caught up in Spanish. She can see that my daughter is capable of more. This is so amazing to me because it’s the first time my daughter has been “pushed” to do better even though she’s getting a B in that class. All though the WJCC school district has been wonderful for my two girls, there isn’t anything in place for “average” A/B students to excel to. The staff at Hornsby is fantastic and Ms. Epps exemplifies that. ~Erin O.
Mrs. Carrie Evans – Hornsby Middle
- In addition to being an 8th grade science teacher, Mrs. Evans is also the coach of the girls field hockey team & volleyball team at Hornsby. She instills in the girls a desire to learn and play well – to value teamwork and good sportsmanship. She is a positive role model for young girls and goes out of her way to make each girl feel important and valued. ~Liz M.
- Mrs. Evans is a great inspiration and influence to our children. She is a great science teacher with new and interesting ideas that keep the children inspired. Let’s not forget that she is a volleyball & field hockey coach. She is cherished and respected by all students. What a great asset to have in our school. ~Amy P.
- Mrs. Evans has a wonderful spirit, Mrs. Evans is a great science teacher, very coordinated; and last but not least she is cherished and respected by faculty, students, and parents. ~Danita W.
- Mrs. Evans is a wonderful and well loved teacher at Hornsby. Not only does she make science fun and exciting, but she truly cares about her students and takes the time to get to know them as individuals. (She even invites her students to join her for lunch in her classroom!) My daughter absolutely adores her and I know will remember her forever. Mrs. Evans makes kids love science and for that I am very thankful. She is very deserving of the Teacher of the Month award. ~Tryna F.
Ms. Kelsey Everton – DJ Montogue
- This is Miss Everton’s first year (with DJM anyway) and she has shown a sense of caring and helpfulness to her classroom. She portrays all the qualities a fine teacher should. Caring, respect, and gives a warmth to her class. She is very friendly with all. I trust her abilities and know she will contact a parent when necessary. ~Kristin S.
Mrs. Carmen Farley – DJ Montague Elementary
- 100% Patience + 100% Communication = 200% Teacher Awesomeness! ~Kim.
Mrs. Ferrara – Matoaka Elementary
- Tama Ferrara has a true love of teaching that shows in EVERYTHING she does! She goes out of her way to help her kids. They have time to have fun but also know when it’s time to be serious but they learn in every situation! Tama is known to stay after school with any of her kids when they need the extra help which has a tendency to be about daily! You can call her with any problems that need to be discussed or any concerns had. She teaches Cardinal Academy that helps kids achieve their goals. She does this on her own time as well. One thing that I have to always say thank you to her for is always being there for her class kids ALL THE TIME, she is an amazing teacher, person, and woman that everyone can learn from, and definitely deserves to be the teacher of the month if not year! ~Heather H.
- Mrs. Ferrara is one of those teachers my son will never forget. When he talks about her you can tell how much he loves her. I have been in the classroom while she is teaching and am amazed at her patience and loving attitude toward the children. She is also lots of fun! She has also generously given her time to tutoring my son and other children in her class after school. She is an amazing teacher!
- My son was struggling in school during the first part of the year. Mrs. Ferrara has been there for Aidan, encouraging him and helping him every day. She always makes a point of telling me when Aidan has done something exceptional. She has been a positive force in this academically challenging year. ~Nancy
Mrs. Fiel – Stonehouse Elementary
- She’s a great teacher! ~Lisa S.
Ms. Dawn Forgit – Matoaka Elementary; Kindergarten
- Ms. Forgit keeps the fun in kindergarten. She teaches not only the curriculum but gets the children excited about nature and the great outdoors. Plus, her patience is amazing.
Mrs. Talia Frye – Stonehouse Elementary
- Mrs. Frye is very attentive and patient with her students. She goes out of her way to be sure that they each get some individualized attention.
Mr. Ernest Gallien – Blayton
- Mr. Gallien has challenged my daughter to be a better student and has inspired her to succeed…Couldn’t have asked for a greater educator. ~Katherine A.
Mrs. Lynelle Gardner – Magruder Elementary
- Mrs. Gardner has been an amazing teacher for my daughter, Peyton. She has the right mix of nurturing and structure and has really helped her grow and earn this year. Her reading skills and writing skills have taken off and she says she loves math! As a girl who ways hated math growing up and struggled with it, this warms my heart. She is conscientious and thoughtful with the kids and they all adore her. ~Stephanie C.
Mrs. Betsy Gaynor – Walsingham Academy
- My daughter absolutely loves Mrs. Gaynor. She has made the transition to school easy and smooth for my four year old. Everyday, Ella comes home with wonderful stories about Mrs. Gaynor. She is kind, compassionate, and passionate about learning and growing. We are lucky to have her! ~Megan B.
Mrs. Barbara Georgianna – Norge Elementary
- Somehow, someway she has made my son LOVE to write. What once brought him to tears, now displays his creativity and crazy imagination! ~Jasmine S.
Mr. Jeffrey Gibson – Waller Mill Elementary
- Mr. Gibson teaches with so much energy and passion. He has the kids in stitches while learning serious stuff…and sparks life into the dullest lessons. We just cant say enough good stuff! ~Marieke
Ms. Jessie Grant – Warhill High
- New to the area and Warhill High School, Ms. Grant is already a student favorite at Warhill. Affectionately called “Ms. G,” Jessie is one of those teachers that the kids like AND respect. She runs a disciplined classroom and rehearsal, but the kids have fun. Finding that balance where the kids learn, have fun, and behave is a skill that alludes some teachers, coaches and directors, but not Ms. G. ~Keith R.
Mrs. Marissa Gray – JB Blayton Elementary
- Ms. Gray has always gone above and beyond in not only educating our children but in also her deep love and caring for all her students. Even now during the summer months she made plans that included my daughter, her student. My little Miss Micaela has gone through a rough year between her dad and I getting divorced but in also her hearing/speech problems. To top it off this school year we found she has major vision problems that will probably have to be corrected through surgery. Ms. Gray is most definitely the one who has encouraged, supported and loved Micaela to have made it through. We adore Ms. Gray, always!!! ~Stephanie S.
Ms. Wendy Guilford – James River Elementary
- She is awesome! ~Jacinta P.
Mrs. Deanna Guiseppi – DJ Montague
- Mrs. Guiseppi has been an amazing, inspiring, and exciting teacher for my daughter. I have volunteered in her class many times and every time I have witnessed her reaching out to help and encourage her students. She is so kind and understanding; these children are lucky to have such a caring and uplifting teacher.
- Mrs. Guiseppi consistently engages the students in fun, educational activities, making their educational environment exciting. She continues to challenge her students, while ensuring that they remain in a positive and encouraging environment. My family feels very fortunate to have such a caring teacher. ~Leslye C.
Mrs. Alicia Hahn – DJ Montague
- Mrs. Hahn provides a learning environment that is fun, hands on and creative. She is loving and caring to her entire class and is truly a blessing to both the kids and parents of her 2nd grade class! Thank you for helping my son to love going to school! ~Erin
Mrs Hanlon – St. Stephen Preschool
- Is a great teacher. My son learned so much in such a short time. He loves to go to school and tell her the things he did and is always excited to tell us the things he learned with her. ~Stefanie M.
Mrs. Harmon – Matoaka Elementary
- In the current testing-first-education-second environment of today’s public schools, Mrs. Harmon manages to inspire her students everyday. She takes the time to know her kids and teach to their strengths, all the while keeping education fun and not tedious. Mrs. Harmon deserves to be recognized and acknowledged for all she does to teach and support her students. ~S.
- As soon as we met Mrs. Harmon I felt so happy she was going to be my daughters teacher. She gave her a big hug and a warm welcome. My daughter loves Mrs. Harmon. She is patient and kind. A teacher who really cares for her students. It’s a blessing to have her at our school. ~Andrea P.
- She’s amazing. She finds alternative ways to teach children with different learning styles she has amazing compassion and strives to pinpoint each child’s deficiencies and to help them to work on those areas. ~Rana
- Mrs. Harmon goes above and beyond for her students and is without a doubt the best teacher my son has ever had. She has an amazing gift of getting her students excited about learning and because of that, my son is now excited and ready to go to school every day. Her impact on my son has completely changed his whole outlook about school and I know that she will be a teacher that he will never forget. ~Deanna H.
- Mrs. Harmon made my daughter’s second grade year awesome! She is a creative, involved and loving teacher. I am consistently impressed by her patience, kindness, and the attention she shows to each student. Mrs. Harmon fills all of our buckets! ~Christine W.
Mrs. Elizabeth Heath – Wallermill Elementary
- She has an amazing way with her students. Unlike last year, my son enjoys going to school to learn. ~Chris F.
- Mrs Heath makes learning fun! She is able to support a variety of learning styles within a well-managed positive learning space. My child is so happy to go to school each day…which really is the best testament to how wonderful Liz is as a teacher. ~Melissa F.
- Mrs Heath has managed to keep our very active 6 year old enthused about getting up and going to school everyday. She obviously cares about each of her students and motivates each child to be the best that he/she can be. ~Cynthia L.
- She is a genuinely fabulous teacher! She keeps kids engaged and interested. She holds their attention and makes them want to learn. ~Susan Z.
- Mrs. Heath is a great teacher because she gives you lots of chances to succeed. She also explains things really well. I also like her because she is funny and she makes good pictures so we can understand things like math. And she picks excellent books to read to us!!!!!!!!!!!! ~Jon
Mrs. Lynda Heath – Matoaka Elementary
- Mrs. Heath has proven herself to be an all-around great teacher. She is the perfect blend of discipline and nurture. She is a dedicated professional who spends the much needed time to find your child’s strengths and where they need to improve. When meeting with her at conference time, she brings to light the many facets of your child’s school performance that only a polished, experienced, and insightful teacher can do. Awarding her the “Teacher of the Month”would only pale in comparison to how rewarded I feel to have had her teach 3rd grade to both of my children. Matoaka is so lucky to have such a fabulous teacher in Mrs. Heath! ~Laureen W.
Mrs. Sally Henderson – Matoaka Elementary
- Mrs. Henderson makes a positive difference in the lives of every child at Mataoka Elementary. She helps our children learn how to use their creativity and celebrate their unique viewpoints. She spends time after school sponsoring an animation club and providing student artwork for local art shows. In the spring she spends countless after school hours on an Arts Night for the kids where she has artists demonstrating techniques like wheel throwing clay, has art activities for the students to do, and hangs 2 artworks for each child in the hallways. We love her at Matoaka! ~Susan T.
Mr. Hendrickson – Toano Middle
- Mr. Hendrickson is there for the kids whenever they need him. He takes his lunch time to assist with math and homework, and also runs an aviation club that is twice a month after school. He is available quickly whenever I contact him, and is the main reason my son is now enjoying math class. I believe he is fairly new to teaching and middle school as we all know is difficult, so I want him to know he is making a difference! ~Ellyn S.
Mrs. Kelly Herspold – DJ Montague Elementary
- Through her kindness, patience, wisdom and steadfastness , Mrs. Herspold has made her second grade classroom a positive and safe environment for learning. She is to be commended for her professionalism and communication with parents and her tender heart towards her students. ~Wendy A.
- She teaches from a whole child perspective. From lots of hands on activities, to dancing brain breaks, to allowing them to read under their desks. She is what makes students love to learn. ~Jennifer G.
Mrs. Dawn Hess – Matoaka Elementary
- Mrs. Hess takes the time to understand her students. She recognizes there difficulties individually and helps them. ~Selma P.
- In spite of all she has endured in the last 3 years, Mrs. Hess is there for her students unselfishly. Her days are consumed with concerns for the children, their education and well-being even after she goes home to her family. She appreciates the efforts of the parents and her fellow teachers and school staff. ~Agnes
- Mrs. Hess is a wonderful teacher. She makes learning fun, and the kids love spending the day with her. ~Tryna F.
Mrs. Katie Hogge – Waller Mill Elementary
- Her patience and passion for teaching as well as her ability to coordinate with parents in amazing. This is her first year teaching kindergarten even though she’s toughly other grades. ~Stephanie B.
Mrs. Sarah Howard – Stonehouse Elementary
- Miss Sarah has been teaching several years at Stonehouse. Her kind & loving way to teach her four year class the “Grasshoppers” reflects on their thirst to learn each day. She is always ready to give a hug – high five or wipe a tear. Miss Sarah is is a jewel in the teaching world. ~Terri B.
- Sarah is a wonderful teacher who goes beyond her job. She is ready every morning with a smile & hug. Ms. Sarah is kind, gentle, and makes every Grasshopper achieve their goals to kindergarten. The parents, kids and staff love Ms. Sarah and know she would make a fantastic teacher of the month. Ms. Sarah you rock!!! ~Terri B.
Mrs. Howell – Clara Byrd Baker
- Mrs Howell goes above and beyond for her Special education students. Always has a smile on her face and shows real love and compassion. ~Amy C.
- Each of Mrs. Howell’s student’s needs are vastly different due to their physical & learning challenges, and she strives to maximize the potential of each child as an individual. There is no such word as “can’t” in her vocabulary. For a child who had difficulty holding a paintbrush or even finger painting, she enthusiastically helped them find another means to paint on a canvas. He was thrilled with his masterpiece & can’t wait to share with his family! His success was a reflection of Mrs. Howell’s commitment to developing independence for each of her special students. ~Jennifer G.
- As a parent I have got to see first hand how hard Mrs. Howell works! Compassion, patience and the way she cares for each person in the class based on there individual needs. I believe only certain people are given the gift to understand our children. I appreciate her and all the aides that work with her classroom! We appreciate you! ~Jennifer G.
- Mrs. Howell works very hard every year to teach students with different intellectual disabilities. She does an excellent job meeting the learning levels which are completely different for each student in her class. Even when a tough situation arises she will not give up till she finds a resolution. She has to wear many hats in order to meet the needs of her students everyday. She is compassionate and each student she truly loves as her own and wants to see become successful. The aides in the class hold a special place in the classroom also, must not forget them! ~Jenn G.
Mrs. Kimberley Hundley – Stonehouse Elementary
- Mrs. Hundley is a treasure to the boys and girls in her class. Her patience, love and kindness along with being firm when needed, has allowed the children to grow and learn while being happy! So important for Kindergarteners! We were thrilled to have her come to our home for dinner and a chat. She enjoyed seeing our son’s life at home and sharing what her hopes are for our son. We volunteer in her classroom at times and appreciate that she keeps everyone on task. Thank you for your consideration…YAY Mrs. Hundley! ~Megan D.
Mrs. Jennifer Insley – Norge Elementary
- Mrs Insley was my daughter’s kindergarten teacher. We thought the world of her. She not only taught the kindergarten skills but taught the kids how important manners are. My daughter is now in the 2nd grade and she still makes it a point to find our how she is doing. She is always excited when she sees my daughter in the hallway and this boosts my daughters self esteem. Mrs Insley should win this recognition because you can tell she truly loves her students!! ~Becky D.
Mrs. Pablum Irvin – The Goddard School
- Mrs. Pablum has worked at The Goddard School since day one when they first opened in 2009. Since then she has been a wonderful Preschool and now Pre-K teacher. The children in her classroom love her and even the children who have graduated visit her throughout the school year. From what I have heard all of the children who have had the opportunity to be in her classroom have done exceedingly well once they have moved into Kindergarten which is probably why parents request her for their Pre-K teacher as I have done. I walk by her classroom and see learning taking place at all times not to mention creative art and projects that fill the walls. I know Mrs. Pablum has received an award for Teacher of the Year from the school a few years ago but I feel she deserves to be nominated for Teacher of the Year for all of Williamsburg! ~April M.
- Mrs. Pebbles is a fantastic leader. She is able to captivate the interests of children in a very gentle way and always has a smile on her face when she greets you. Its amazing to see how responsive her students are to her 🙂 ~Kimberly B.
- Ms. Pebbles is fantastic -she cares so much about the students and has a passionate attitude toward her work. We love her! ~Megan S.
- She is patient & all the kids LOVE her! ~Kim.
- Ms Pebbles (as she is called by her students) does a great job of blending fun and learning in the classroom. She keeps the children positively motivated and she also makes sure that each student knows that she cares about them. My son is now in Kindergarten, and Ms. Pebbles did a wonderful job making sure that all the children were ready to start kindergarten – behavior-wise and learning-wise. My son still gets excited to go back and say hi to her, and she continues to encourage him in his interests. ~Tracy S.
- Ms. Pebbles did an amazing job teaching my son. She was patient and kind and he learned an incredible amount. We are so grateful for the love of learning which she has given my son. ~Joy P.
- Mrs. Irvin or as her students know her, Ms. Pebbles, is a wonderful teacher. She prepares her students for the challenges they will face when they enter grade school. She addresses their social, cognitive and emotional needs. She is loving and patient. She works with each child on their level addressing their individual needs. She is always professional and is respected by her co workers. Her parents think so much of her and is the most requested teacher by incoming prekindergarten parents. I have taught for years & various systems and she truly is a credit to the profession. ~Janie L.
- Ms. Pebbles is a wonderful preschool teacher. She is always thoughtful and has a true passion for all of her kids. My older kids still come back to visit her when we pick up the baby from the Goddard and she knows their names and even saves goodies for them at holidays. ~Kelly C.
- She is kind and patient. She has a great mix of fun and discipline in her classroom. My 4 year old is eager to go to school each day. In the short time in her classroom he has already begun to write, spell, and read. We are very impressed! ~Kristina.
- My daughter is in her class and she is an excellent teacher. Not only does she focus on academics but she also focuses on children behaviors and manners. My daughter says to me, “Yes Mama” when I ask her to do something. She instill a lot of please and thank you’s into the children she teaches. This is something I personally think is lacking from our school systems and teachers today. Kids need to have manners and education because the two goes a long way!! She is a teacher that stresses the importance of both in everything she does!! ~April G.
- All the children adore her and she takes the time to make sure they are truly learning. She briefs parents up on progress and is really engaged. ~Tameka R.
- My son Noah is currently in Mrs. Pebbles class and has never been happier! She is the kindest, most passionate Pre-school teacher my boys have ever had. My eldest son (now in first grade) also graduated from Mrs. Pebbles class and has the fondest memories of that classroom! Her classroom is filled with creative artwork and every day is a new adventure and exciting lesson plan! Three Cheers for Mrs. Pebbles! Thank you! ~Courtenay
- She is very caring, kind and makes learning fun for her classroom. She is AWAYS going the extra mile to make sure her children have a well rounded activities whatever the theme may be! She has truly made an impact on my child with learning and her kind heart!! ~Melissa B.
- Pablum in the most creative teacher I have met. She finds interesting ways for her students to learn and the students just love her. She is a team player and is always willing to help anyone in need. She has been a wonderful asset to the school. ~Kristy.
Mr. Jarrell – Hornsby Middle
- This teacher is teaching the children advanced things in English, the students are reading great books, and writing poetry. My child is engaged, her choices in reading materials have greatly improved. Mr. Jarrell holds tutoring after school for students who would like to improve their grammar. This teacher should win! ~Danita B.
Mrs. Elaine Johnson – Warhill High
- I believe Mrs. Johnson should be chosen as Teacher of the Month because, she makes our time in class very enjoyable and I feel we are better choir students because she is our teacher. ~Cameron G.
- Mrs. Johnson is an accomplished musician and shares her passion for music with her students. She brings the highest level of excellence to Warhill’s program. ~Linda G.
Mrs. Isabelle Johnson – Warhill High
- Mrs. Johnson is an amazing teacher! I had her first when I was a freshman. She was my fourth block Biology teacher. I had been dreading that class because Biology just didn’t seem interesting to me, but I was wrong. Mrs. Johnson made Biology so much fun! She has such an outstanding personality and works to make individual relationships with each and every one of her students. This year is my senior year and every morning she never fails to share her smile with me, along with a pleasant “Good morning!”. She is such a gem and really a wonderful addition to the Warhill staff. Mrs. Johnson is one teacher that I will never, ever forget. ~Amanda R.
Mrs. Julie Jones – Matthew Whaley
- Mrs. Jones is a dedicated teacher to all of her students. Each grade puts on a musical each school year and she is in charge of putting them on. She also has after school ballet classes for the 3rd, 4th, and 5th graders who then have at least 3 performances in the spring. She gets grants and other funding to fund different portions of her classes such as recorders for the 4th graders, drums for the 5th graders, costumes for each of the ballet dancers. She truly cares for her students and works hard to get them to interact in her class and enjoy it. I can’t think of a better teacher to get this award. ~Renee S.
- Mrs Jones keeps the spirit of Matthew Whaley alive by keeping songs in our hearts and tradition at the forefront of our great school. Each and EVERY grade level (K-5) does a fantastic production throughout the year. Most recently, Mrs Jones put together our annual Veterans Day program. It was beautiful while honoring veterans and veteran’s families. Mrs Jones works tirelessly to educate our kids, while also writing grants for additional instruments, etc and sponsors the after school ballet club. At a time where politics is too largely infused into education, Mrs Jones always keeps the students her first priority. I can’t imagine a world without music and I surely can’t imagine Matthew Whaley without the amazing Julie Jones!!! ~Meredith W.
Mrs. Robin Jones – Berkeley Middle School
- Mrs. Jones is an English teacher at Berkeley Middle School. My daughter tells me “her class is fun!” Mrs. Jones makes coming to her class something to look forward to. She is kind and goes out of her way to help any student. Any child who gets Mrs. Jones is a lucky kid! ~Tracie S.
Mrs. Sherry Jones – Stonehouse Elementary
- Mrs. Jones is a caring, imaginative, and motivating teacher. She shows her love for teaching in everything she does. My daughter is thrilled to be in her class this year. ~Stephanie L.
Mrs. Britnie Jordan – Hornsby Middle
- Mrs. Jordan goes above and beyond for her choir students. She makes sure they get opportunities to perform in all extra state choirs by coordinating the auditions for students who want the chance to participate. She stays after school with those who make it to the state choir events and takes times away from her own weekends to attend and participate with them. She is a dedicated and loving director and Hornsby is blessed to have her there. ~Criztina.
Mrs. Katsibas-Cimino – Matthew Whaley Elementary
- She goes above and beyond every single day! She is caring and everyone loves her. She has some many neat ways of getting the kids involved and wanting to learn! She deserves this honor!! ~Karen Z.
Ms. Becky Ketter – Clara Byrd Baker
- Ms. Ketter is a kind, caring and wonderful person who has really taken the time to get to know my child and give her the best education possible. My daughter adores her and we are so thankful for her! ~Monica F.
- Ms. Ketter is genuinely a caring and loving teacher. When you walk into her classroom, you instantly feel the joy, love, and amazing willingness to learn from her students. Ms. Ketter practices teaching with the seriousness of a quality education mixed with humor and silliness of what every elementary school teacher should have. She is a true asset to Williamsburg-James City County schools! ~Dawn W.
Ms. Lyndsay Kimbro – Magruder Elementary
- Thanks for constantly encouraging me every step of the way. You truly did the impossible as I honestly could not imagine having achieved what I did.without your guidance. You inspired me to be a better person, with every class being so full of love and passion, I want to do my best!! ~Gavin W.
Ms. Kelly Kincaid – Matthew Whaley Elementary
- Ms. Kincaid is dedicated to her students at Matthew Whaley! It is evident that she cares about her work and students because of her creativity in lessons and motivation to engage her students in learning! ~Sarah M.
- When my son came into the York county school division he was really behind in his reading ability and other areas. Mrs. Kindly promptly called us in to let us know and laid out a plan for all the additional help that would be given to my son to get him to where he needs to be. He has been working hard to get there and we have seen a great improvement which I know is due to Mrs. Kindley and other support teachers’ continued encouragement and support. This is just one of the many examples that makes Mrs. Kindle a Superstar teacher! ~Veronica G.
Mrs. Carey Kipper – Magruder Elementary
- Mrs. Kipper should win because she is such a positive influence on her class. The kids as well as parents absolutely love her. She involves herself with the children and her style of teaching keeps the children motivated. ~Dominique C.
Ms. Christina Knapp – Matthew Whaley Elementary
- She is positive and patient. My son loves her. ~Alice A.
Mrs. Claudia Knapp – Clara Byrd Baker
- My daughter has made tremendous progress in Mrs. Claudia’s class! My daughter is legally blind and developmentally delayed, but she has & is accomplishing more than expected, and I believe that Mrs. Claudia has so much to do with that! Thank you for your hard work & dedication! ~Brooke G.
- She goes out of the way to plan fun and engaging activities for her class of 2 year old students with special needs. From monkeys jumping on the bed to project based learning about balls, students explore a variety of interests. Mrs. Claudia is especially responsive and attentive to the needs of her students. I mentioned to her that my son was struggling with a particular skill at home and she immediately incorporated that skill into her weekly lessons, making life so much better for our son and our family. She is joyful, fun-loving, and compassionate, and we would love to see her recognized for all that she does! ~Kristin C.
Mrs. Katie Knaul – Matoaka Elementary School
- Mrs. Knaul is very caring, nice, understanding, sensitive, helpful, responsive… I could go on and on about what a great teacher she is. My child absolutely adores her and loves going to school to be in Mrs. Knaul’s class. Such a change from last year! Mrs. Knaul is the BEST Teacher ever and should get teacher of the YEAR award! ~Darcie E.
- As Mrs. Knaul is a mother of two young children, I’m just blown away that she would take the time to write handwritten personalized notes to praise and encourage individual accomplishments & traits about her students and MAIL them to the student’s home. That’s just unheard of these days! My daughter just beamed when she read her note from Mrs. Knaul. We have it on our refrigerator and it reminds her to keep striving to do well! ~Lauren S.
- She is one of the most caring, honest, nurturing, friendly, comforting and genuine people I have ever met. My son was very lucky to have been assigned to her class this year and he is a been very happy all year long! I wish every child could experience the joy of having Mrs. Knaul as their 5th grade teacher! ~Darcie E.
Ms. Kacie Kohler – Norge Elementary
- Ms. Kohler is such an encouraging and inspiring teacher! My son looks forward to her Friday science lesson all week long! ~Erin
Mr. Hunter Kopczynski – Warhill HS
- He is very principled, focused, he is young and well rounded, fun, and very much in control of his environment . The students respect him, and fear him in the since that they perform their best, and study hard. He expects professionalism from the students, and the students give 100% ,and we the parents respect him and appreciate him for sharing his love for the arts and his influence on the students.
- Mr. Kopczynski is a dedicated instructor. He has surrounded himself with an outstanding group of parents and others from the community to organize his talented group of young adults. His students enjoy his class, and simultaneously are maturing in their musical professionalism. I believe that that this can be attributed to Mr. Kopczynski’s positive influence. Mr. Kopczynski is a great asset to the WJCC school system, and I believe that he has earned this honor. Thank you. ~Maria W.
Mrs. Krystal Kosanovich – Magruder Elementary
- My son, Mason, had Mrs. Kosanovich for three years as a Special Education teacher. My son is affected with autism and Mrs. Kosanovich always puts in the extra time and effort to come up with creative solutions to keep him focused and on task. She implemented Social Skills teaching into his curriculum and put forth extra effort to ensure that he was utilizing those skills with his peers. She always had time for lengthy conversations about Mason’s day and would call or write a note to tell us about the positive things that we’re happening and not just when there was a problem. We’ve had many great teachers at Magruder but Mrs. Kosanovich is a standout! Thank You for your consideration. ~Amy S.
Mrs. Elizabeth Kostyk – Clara Byrd Baker Elementary
- Mrs. Kostyk is a wonderful caring teacher who goes above and beyond to help her students do their very best in all aspects of life, not just education. She keeps close contact with all the parents, sometimes on a daily basis and will do whatever she can to make her students school life fun and enjoyable. She attends all the children’s birthday parties and takes time out of her own schedule to watch attend their sports games. ~Nicola W.
- Ms. Kostyk is a creative, hard-working teacher who knows her students and teaches to their needs. She does a great job differentiating so her students are learning the academics required for their grade level. She is also teaching them social skills. Ms. Kostyk has a heart for her students and they respect and love her in return. ~Carol E.
- Mrs Kostyk is a Special Ed teacher at CBB. The love she shows for her children is amazing. She has 3 grade levels of Special Ed kids and each one is able to succeed at their own pace. She attends as many non-school events as she can. My daughter was completely out of control when she started in Mrs. Kostyk’s class 3 years ago and now my daughter loves school and gets upset when she has to miss it for any reason. Mrs Kostyk has been nominated several times before. Myself and several other parents would love to see her win because she gives so much of her own personal time to these students. She is always available to parents via text and phone she is a great teacher and we are sorry to be leaving CBB next year. ~Susan R.
Mrs. Kelly Kuklis – Norge Elementary
- Mrs. Kuklis is someone who inspires learning in young students and gets them excited about learning inside and outside of the classroom. One of my favorite memories from last year was standing outside Walmart with her ringing the Salvation Army bell with several of her devoted students. She had 16 active boys in her class last year and did a GREAT job engaging them and making class time interesting and fun. My son (who was her student last year) still talks about Mrs. Kuklis and my younger two are hopeful that they will have her next year. Team Garrison LOVES Mrs. Kuklis! ~Trina G.
- She is by far one of the most caring teachers out there. She goes above and beyond for her students, takes no short cuts, and will work until she knows her students understand and comprehend what she is teaching. Any student is lucky to have her as a teacher and parents as well. She communicates and is willing to work with families to make sure their child is happy as a clam. ~Jordan P.
Mrs. Jennifer Lampert – Matthew Whaley
- Mrs. Lampert is a wonderful 3rd grade teacher. She is patient and understanding and works very hard for each child’s life touches. ~Tracie S.
- Mrs. Lampert makes my son excited to go to school every day excited about what the day will bring. She shares a genuine love of learning and literature while keeping a sense of fun and and fostering curiosity. She is fantastic! ~Kristen K.
Mrs. Lindsey Landers – DJ Montague
- Mrs. Landers is an amazing teacher. She works very closely with me and my daughter to insure her success. She is always available when I need her and even though she has kids of her own, she treats her students like hers. She is very deserving of this award. Please consider her. ~Michelle Y.
Mrs. Stacy Lanier – Williamsburg Christian Academy
- A million thanks to Mrs. Lanier! I noticed that our child has improved when it comes to his learning. Our child can now read short phrases and words. I know his big achievements are because of her dedication. She had done such a marvelous job and it made our son excited to go to school everyday. She is truly a blessing! ~Cheryll R.
- Mrs. Lanier has the patience of no other. She teaches her class with depth and knowledge as well as a love of learning that is not taught. She should absolutely be honored as teacher of the month! ~Cynthia H.
- She believes in her students. She loves them all and allows them to reach their highest potentials. She treats them all the same as if they were all her own. What a great teacher. We all love her. God is good to allow her to be teacher her at WCA. ~Margaret S.
- She is wonderful at communicating with parents, truly considers her students apart of her family, and reassures me that my child is being loved and nourished while away from me during the day. My child was struggling to feel motivated to read at the beginning of the school year and is now reading at a first grade level. Her growth has been astronomical throughout last year and now and it is largely credited to Mrs Lanier! ~Nichole G.
- I have three children in school. All of my kids have been blessed with good teachers, but Mrs. Lanier is a standout and is absolutely fabulous with her kindergarteners. She is incredibly patient, but also keeps the kids on track both academically and behaviorally. She goes well above her job description and treats each child just as she treats her own son. The love and patience she shows my own child (who is the toughest of my kids) is heartwarming, and he has leaned so much from her. I am amazed at what she has accomplished in such a short amount of time, and would love nothing more than to see her recognized for her efforts. ~Trish D.
- Stacy Lanier genuinely loves her students and sees the best in all of them. She makes learning a positive experience and is always accessible to the parents. She loves what she does which, in turn, creates a loving and nourishing classroom for her students. ~Johanna R.
- Mrs. Lanier gives 100 percent of herself to every child in her class, I know she goes home and thinks of activities and learning exercises she can share with the children. She spends her own money on learning games for her class, Mrs. Lanier truly truly cares about all her kids and really thinks of them as her own children. We are so blessed to have her teach our son and I could go on and on about her dedication! ~Celeste D.
- Mrs. Lanier is the very best teacher ever!!! She has so many amazing qualities that make her the wonderful teacher and person that she truly is. She loves each and every one of her students as if they are her very own and it shows. She’s kind, compassionate, caring, patient, and authoritative in the most loving way. Her students succeed because she is so graceful and supportive of her students’ individual learning styles & abilities. She has the ability to recognize the needs of each child & therefore gives a personalized level of instruction to help them give their very best effort & achieve their goals. Our family considers the fact that she is our daughter’s teacher such a blessing and every day we are thankful to have her. ~Jennifer P.
Mrs. Nancy Lassiter – Toano Middle School
- Nancy has been a teacher for years. Several years ago decided to get certification in Special Education as a result of her niece, my daughter, having several education challenges. I love her for that. She also is the SHIP program liaison for Toano, and is a coach for the girls run club. For the past two years, two years ago being the inaugural year, Nancy was the Director of the Toano Icy 8K to raise funds to pave a trail through the woods behind the school. That was completed over the summer thanks to her tireless fundraising efforts! The entire Community uses the path the walk. So, that’s my quick story about what Nancy does for me, the school, and the Community!! Thanks! ~Nikki N.
Mrs. Sandy Layman – JB Blayton Elementary
- Mrs. Layman brings positivity and compassion to her classroom on a daily basis. Her love of learning is evident in her creative lessons which often incorporates music, movement, and art. She takes her students interests and motivations into consideration, and she does all this with a big smile on her face. ~Anna T.
- I feel she should win because she is always passionate about her job! She has always been gracious, thoughtful, loving and kind! The goes over and beyond for her children in the classroom! ~S.
Ms. Vicki Lewis – Berkeley Middle
- Ms. Lewis is the best math teacher that has ever lived. She is very fun to be around, she is smart and she makes me feel like I’m in a safe place. ~Omar.
Mrs. Karen Liberato – Williamsburg Christian
- Mrs. Liberato is the face of preschool at WCA. Her teaching method actively engaged and stimulates all her students. They are free to discover and grow in a safe and loving Environment. She loves her students, school and God and
and that shows in her teaching everyday. ~Stacy
- Mrs. Liberato is an amazing teacher and loves her students like her own. Her love of teaching shows in all she does at WCA. ~Staci L.
- Mrs. Liberato makes learning fun while helping other students grow in their faith. My son has learned so much in her class this year. ~Staci L.
Ms. Alison Lipinski – Magruder Elementary
- Alison works so incredibly hard to provide an amazing learning environment for the kids in her class. Alison is a single parent to three wee ones and her hard work is evident in all that she does. She tends to keep her chin up, a smile on her face and keeps going, even when life is getting her down. I’m extremely proud of her and I know she would be honored to win this award. ~Amanda.
Mrs. Julie Lipscomb – Stonehouse Elementary
- Julie Lipscomb (4th grade teacher) is a pleasure to work with! She is well organized and always willing to share her resources with her colleagues and student teachers (which it seems she serves as a model for just about every year). She is our school’s SHIP coordinator (coordinating all SHIP after school activity programs), social studies chair (organizing field trips to places like Jamestown and events like our Civil War banquet for students), and loves catching up with students and their families year after year. Julie uses fun lessons (like a holiday jingle fact/opinion exercise) and hands on experiences (using artifacts she collects and brings in to share). There is so much more that she does–this is just a sampling! ~Evelyn J.
Mr. Scott Lish – Warhill High
- I know it seems weird that I am nominating my husband but I think that nobody could possibly understand better than me the tremendous amount of work, dedication, and passion that Scott puts into his job. Teaching can be a thankless job; in our county, the teachers have not received a pay raise in five years but they have gotten increased class sizes and increased work loads. Scott handles this with grace and an attitude that he doesn’t teach because of the paycheck; he teaches because he loves it. Along with teaching social studies, he is the head coach of the Warhill High School Wrestling team. He has become a role model to many of his athletes and students and I am very proud of the wonderful example he sets. In addition to teaching wrestling, he teaches sportsmanship, teamwork, and philanthropy. I am very proud of the fact that his team participated in a Toys for Tots tournament this year and brought approximately seventy toys with them to donate to families in need. I believe that Scott deserves to be recognized as a teacher, a coach, and a person who truly believes in giving back to his community. ~Kim L.
Mrs. Katie Maclauchlan – Warhill High
- Katie Maclauchlan is a young English teacher at Warhill High School. She is full of energy and passion in a way that makes her students excited to go to English. My son has her for 9th grade intensified english and is amazed at how much fun he and the entire class have while they are learning and being pushed to succeed in an advance english class. He has classmates over at our house to do projects and all of the students are excited about her and what they are doing in her class. She is also extremely respected and appreciated by the PTSA and staff at Warhill. She volunteers for so many extra activities outside the class room hours for the students and the school in general, we wonder where she gets all her energy! We are so happy and proud to have her at Warhill High School. ~Renee A.
- A young, passionate teacher whose enthusiasm for learning inspires her students. Always looking beyond the classroom to involve her students. ~Elizabeth.
- Dedicated. Teaches outside the box to make English a “favorite” class among students. Awesome at guiding students with the yearbook!! ~Nancy K.
Mrs. Cindy Macomber – Matoaka Elementary
- Because of Mrs. Mac, my second grader goes to school every morning with a huge smile on her face! She is caring, compassionate and genuinely loves her “kids”! As my daughter says, “Mrs. Mac just makes learning fun!” ~Tanya T.
- Mrs. Macomber has the best interests of her students at heart. She truly cares for children. She is a gifted educator. ~Sonya C.
Ms. Dana Margulies – Rawls Byrd
- We moved to Williamsburg from out of the country and my daughter was behind her grade level, but in her first semester at Rawls Byrd she has learned so much! I know this is in thanks to the fabulous teachers she has that have helped her. Thank you, Ms. Margulies and Rawls Byrd Elementary! ~Elizabeth K.
- I love how she allows 7 and 8 year olds to be 7 and 8 year old and makes learning fun and not boring. ~Faith P.
- Ms Marguiles is a phenomenal teacher who is awesome with the second graders. She has plenty of patience but as long knows how to make learning fun. ~Faith P.
Mrs. Sherry Mather – Stonehouse Elementary
- Sherry is a special education teacher who works mainly with 4th and 5th graders. She truly cares about the students she works with, and reaches out to families often. She provides a lot of praise, encouragement, and smiles throughout each school day. ~Evelyn J.
Mrs. Helen McClain – Berkeley Middle
- Mrs. McClain is a special person. She has worked with our son for 3 years in Middle School. She has identified issues with his abilities and has met with him mornings at 7am before school for 3 years even though she was only his teacher for one of those years. She took her class in 6th grade to Washington DC at her own cost. This is a special lady who works with a special group of kids and shows each one how much she really cares about them. ~Debbie K.
Mrs. Lauren McCray – Echo Lake Elementary
- Mrs. McCray is the best teacher. She teaches special education. My son have been in her class for the past three years, and he reads, writes, and can do math on his own. She really work well with her students, and actually teaches them what they need to know. ~Sharonda P.
Mr. Jordan McGregor – Walsingham Academy
- He has a lot of personality and makes learning very fun. ~Holly
Mrs. McMillan – Williamsburg Co-op Preschool
- Mrs. McMillan is one of a kind. She gets her kids ready for Kindergarten in the best possible way: they learn letters, science, math, and social skills all through play!! She gives hugs, encouragement and love all the while gently holding her students accountable to each other. Mrs. McMillan also gives them lots of opportunities to learn independence in the classroom. They pour their own drinks (and yep, they spill a lot in the beginning), they learn to keep track of their own belongings, put on their own coats and resolve conflicts with their friends. Again, helping them get ready for a more formal school experience. She’s even been known to make lunch dates with her kids once they are in Kindergarten!! Mrs. McMillan is simply the best!!! ~Stacey L.
Ms. Lauren McQuain – St. Stephen Preschool
- Mrs. McQuain is the best! She brings just the right balance of fun, creativity, and academics to her classroom. She cares deeply about each and every student at St. Stephen and it is evident in all that she does. Our family feels so fortunate to have found St. Stephen Preschool and Mrs. McQuain! ~Kim L.
- Lauren McQuain is a gift to the young children and parents of Williamsburg! Every day she manages to achieve that perfect balance between teaching discipline, learning, fun, and kindness to the most impressionable students- our 2 to 5 year olds. She is comforting to our children; but also recognizes the needs of vulnerable Moms and Dads, as we leave our precious angels in her care. Our little ones benefit from her silliness and carefree attitude, but only when appropriate- again, maintaining that balance. Instilling manners, social skills, and Citizenship are high priority….somehow, it’s all incorporated into the day!! Mrs McQuain’s optimism is contagious. Still, she is realistic regarding the challenges and frustrations with Pre-schoolers and gently provides support to Parents with an uncanny sense of what words and thoughts to share. In a world where the “Village” seems to be shrinking daily, Mrs. McQuain gives me hope that sometimes, it only takes one person to make a huge difference! ~Beth W.
Mrs. Meroski – Magruder Elementary
- This teacher led a fundraiser for one of her students who is currently hospitalized with Leukemia. Once she met the goal of the fundraiser she shaved her head in support. ~Deborah F.
Mrs. Ashley Miller – Walsingham Academy
- She really knows how to listen to her children and teach with lots of enthusiasm. She makes the kids feel so comfortable and loved. She understands they are young and need to be moving all the time. She makes learning fun and exciting! She is super sweet and really makes learning fun! ~Stacy F.
Mrs. MaryBeth Michaels – Walsingham Academy
- Mrs. Michaels is a wonderful teacher who takes the time to work with children after school. She is a gifted educator that is able to teach the children and enables them to reach their highest potential. ~Cher L.
- Mrs Micheals is very dedicated to her students! She adapts the curriculum to their specific needs. She motivates them and keeps them interested. My daughter has learned so much from her. We are so thankful she’s our teacher! ~Carman H.
- Mrs Michaels is an outstanding teacher and makes learning easy by going out of her way to take the time to help each and every student. She not only teaches them with her wisdom she also teaches with her heart. ~Jacqueline H.
- This teacher goes above and beyond to give her students they all need. She is extremely organized, and is an excellent communicator to both students and parents. She is very much aware about not only the academic performance of her students, but the personal and social needs of her students while at school. She is super positive! ~Maria K.
Mrs. Miller – Magruder Elementary
- Mrs. Miller has set the bar high from the beginning of the year! She’s a truth teller when the truth should be told and my 9 year old loves her for that. I believe it was the first day and she told our daughter that “we are not allowed to say we are horrible at multiplication! We say we will get better with each day!” Mrs. Miller has also offered extra help when needed and always so encouraging. She’s a wonderful teacher and her smile lights up the room for her students. For her encouraging and factual teaching techniques are so refreshing! Thank you Mrs. Miller!
Mrs. Jennifer Miller – Matoaka Elementary
- Mrs. Miller is my favorite teacher so far! She is the perfect teacher because she knows how to handle a busy classroom with just enough discipline while letting the children know that she really cares about them. Sometimes the children call her ‘mom’ by mistake which is definitely a compliment because she treats them all as if they were her own. ~Nicola W.
- Miller inspires the kids everyday by pointing out the positives. The kids strive to do great everyday in both behavioral and academic ways. ~Jo W.
Mrs. Ashley Miller – Walsingham Academy
- My son just transferred to Walsingham from out-of-the-area, but Mrs. Miller has ensured that he had a smooth transition to connecting with a group that has been together for some time now. She has gone above and beyond in helping him to connect and catch up to the material as well. But, most importantly she has made him feel like a valued and valuable part of the classroom and we are thrilled that he looks forward to going to school each day! ~Carrie B.
Mrs. Katie Miller – The Kensington School
- Mrs. Katie is such an engaging and creative teacher! Each week her students engage in themed activities that utilizes all of their senses. I particularly love the sweetest art projects our son brings home with his hand or foot prints! She designs outstanding activities for the students to set them early on the path of being curious, life-long learners and truly embodies the mission of The Kensington School of providing a safe, nurturing, and developmentally appropriate environment for our child.
Mrs. Sylvia Mitchell – Magruder Elementary
- Mrs Mitchell has a perfect balance of nurturing love and firm expectations. My daughter adores her and respects her and is so proud when she receives praise and learns something new. ~Stephanie C.
Mr. Robert Moff – Norge Elementary
- Mr. Robert Moff is an amazing teacher because he brings out the best in each and every one of his students. He has nurtured my child academically and emotionally and has given me so much to be thankful for as we journey on to middle school. ~Stephanie.
- He is very passionate about what he does. He goes to extreme measure to make sure your student is successful inside and outside of the classroom. He is very consistent and has the skills to do his job very well. I appreciate his honesty and his consistency when he communicates with you. He will constantly remind you that his door is open ANYTIME for you or your student. I love the impact he has and is making on my student’s academic success! ~Tiffany W.
- Mr Moff is a 5th grade teacher at Norge elementary. It’s my daughter Chloe’s first year at Norge. She has had a few difficult years at another school. Since attending Mr Moff’s class, my daughter has become self confident, motivated & inspired more & more everyday! Mr. Moff is all about the kids that are in his class. He teaches in a way that even I learn new things when volunteering in his classroom. We are so blessed to have him in our lives. If only all teachers had his gift! ~Lynn
Ms. Katie Moore
- Katie Moore is a home-bound teacher for James City County. She absolutely loves her job and this is evident in the way she approaches it and the way she talks about it to others. She will do whatever she can to fit herself around a family’s needs, making herself as available as possible while still caring for her family and volunteering in the Williamsburg community. She is an excellent choice for teacher of the month, and I hope that she wins! ~Jennifer T.
Mrs. Rachael Moore
- Mrs. Moore is an excellent teacher. She exemplifies the type of teacher we all hope our children will have some day. She has great enthusiasm for teaching and history which she spreads to her students. She makes a child feel that they individually are important. She is a great communicator with parents and makes you feel like your child is not just another student but instead an important part of her class. Thank you, Mrs. Moore! ~Elena F.
Mrs. Moser – Matoaka Elementary
- We love Mrs. Moser. Mrs. Moser is the teacher that our son, Aidan, will always remember. She has helped Aidan excel in reading and writing this year. He struggles in these areas, but with Mrs. Moser’s help, he actually enjoys them! He comes home excited to read! I realized the impact she was having on Aidan, when I had to pick him up early one day from school. He was going to miss her class so he asked me if he could stop by her room to say goodbye. They gave each other a great big hug and exchanged some sweet words to each other. This was the moment that I realized our son was in great hands. ~Nancy B.
Ms. Melissa Nadder – Hornsby Middle
- Ms Nadder, et all, is the Special Education teacher/team in the “severe and proufound” room at Hornsby. She(s) has dedicated her self to those kids for the past 3 years. Working in that environment takes a very special soul and Ms Nadder truly has that specialness. I subsituted in her classroom many times and there isn’t a time that she hasn’t brough the joy of learning to these kids. Ms Nadder is always looking and trying out different thing to spark them and play to their strength. There is a very alive and active cirriculum implemented in her classroom and all are expected to achieve a learning curve from it, however minor it has to be. These kids are celebrated and loved and raised up to a standard that I dare say equals the standard set in Gen-Ed rooms ( adjusted ofcourse for abilities. Ms. Nadder also has a healthy volunteer group of “regular” student that come in and participate in the students lives there. These are middle schoolers that hold no judgment or fear when it comes to interacting with other that are so different from themselves. The whole room is a wonderful place of caring, support and education that has the souls to make it all happen. ~Jennifer
- Ms Nadder is Awesome! She is very involved with the kids & keeping things interesting. She has incorporated Peer Helpers, other 8th grade kids from the school to come into the classroom to assist the special needs children on various projects. She started the Williamsburg Chapter of United Athletics, so many special needs students from the WJCC were able to participate in the Run The DoG 5k run this year + other events to follow. She is always organized, easy to communicate with & a great asset to WJCC schools! Our Vote goes to Ms. Nadder! ~Karen B.
Mr. Jeff Nicoloff – Walsingham
- He is just inspirational to my child. A wonderful teacher. ~Paula L.
- Mr Nicoloff is wonderful at believing in and motivating the children. He’s able to help them develop the self confidence they need to get up on a stage and perform in front of an audience. He gives tirelessly to the children and brings out the best in them. ~Angela R.
Mrs. Brandy O’Bryant – Stonehouse Elementary
- Brandy O’Bryant is an inspiration. She is a 4th grade team leader at Stonehouse, the school’s Rock the Test after school program coordinator, and is running the annual pizza sale to raise money for the 4th grade Richmond field trip. She will also serve as the school’s summer school coordinator this year for all grade levels. Every day, she uses technology and hands-on activities to reach all students in her classroom. In her spare time, she cheers on her colleagues, searches for innovative lesson ideas and strategies, and helps support school activities like Relay for Life. ~Evelyn J.
Mr. Kyle Ogburn – Toano Middle
- He makes learning fun, motivates these preteens with interesting science facts, experiments and even takes it one level higher and allows them to experience it. Canoe trips on the Chesapeake Bay River, outdoor science classes on school campus for change in scenery and just his love for teaching and care he has about each child, that they get it, live and can use it. ~Heather J.
Mr. Oppecker –Matthew Whaley
- Mr. Oppecker is very nice and kind. He has a lot of patience. ~Robert L.
Mrs. Elizabeth Oster – Clara Byrd Baker
- Mrs. Oster works with passion. All children love her. She always find time to meet with parents. Is extremely patient and warm person. I am grateful my son is in her classroom. ~Monika K.
Mr. Adam Otstot – Rawls Byrd Elementary
- As a Physical Education teacher, Mr. Otstot has been an inspiration to my boys since they were in Kindergarten. He is an incredible role model as an educator, motivational speaker, and athlete. As an educator, he encourages the kids to set goals and work towards them. He is always positive and develops personal relationships with all of his students. Everyone LOVES Mr. O! As a motivational speaker, Mr. O acknowledges his personal setbacks, and teaches kids how he pushed through those setbacks. He passes on realistic strategies to help his students achieve their goals in both athletics and academics. As an athlete, Mr. O has competed and won multiple marathons, triathlons, and Iron man competitions. His tenacity as an athlete is evident in every aspect of his life. This person is so much more than a teacher to kids! We are so fortunate that of the things he could be doing in his life, he CHOOSES to work with our children. Mr O is a gift! Thank you, Mr. O for being THAT special teacher so many children in our community! ~Marjorie T.
Mrs. Marie Parks – Clara Byrd Baker
- My son had an awful kindergarten year and hated school. Scared to go to 1st grade. Mrs. Parks has a wonderful way of getting the best effort and results from her students by encouragement, loving guidance, and keeping them on track. My son loves school and is always striving to do his best. He can’t wait to go tomorrow . She is a Blessing. ~Susan H.
Ms. Kelly Parsons – Norge Elementary
- She is passionate about her students learning! She taught 2 of my boys to love to read. She gently pushes her students to their maximum capabilities. ~Monty W.
- Parents don’t see all the hours and personal money spent trying to provide their children the best education possible. Teachers like my sister work extremely hard and deserve many thanks from all of us. I’m proud to call Kelly my sister and your teacher. ~Greg
- Ms. Kelly Parsons is the most incredibly dedicated teacher. She is passionate and always makes sure that each of her students has exactly what they need in order to excel. She is kind, generous and enthusiastic. We are so happy that she is a part of our lives! ~Stephanie A.
- Ms. Parsons is a wonderful teacher that is completely dedicated to each of her students. She is enthusiastic, loving and generous with her students. She cares deeply for all of them and it shows in all that she does. ~John F.
- We love Ms Parsons! She has made it a point to give each child personal attention and recognition like no other teacher we’ve had! She always has a good attitude, even on the hardest days. ~Sherrie P.
- Ms. Parson goes above and beyond everyday and engages students in creative, fun, and motivating learning activities. She truly puts her students first, and their love for her is evident by all the hugs and happy smiles. ~Katherine C.
- Ms. Parsons makes a noticeable effort to teach each child according to his/her own learning style. Ms. Parsons is an effective teacher because she consistently gives helpful feedback along with much encouragement. All of the children in the class seem to adore her! ~Dara G.
- Ms. Parsons is a wonderful teacher, who is dedicated to her students emotional and intellectual development. She communicates with parents and encourages them to contact her and responds promptly. My daughter loves having Ms. Parsons as her teacher! ~Elizabeth S.
- Whenever I see Bridget on a school day she enthusiastically shares what she learned at school that day. She must have a wonderful teacher to inspire such enthusiasm in a seven year old. ~Elizabeth G.
- Mrs Parson has been such a blessing to us at Norge. We had moved in from SD this past December, and of coarse our son has fallen behind with his studies with the move and transition. She did everything she could to help build confidence, learn, educate and help where she would find ways to help him succeed, just to name a few. Now, We are simply mesmerized by his achievements at NORGE! He is reading better, writing better and his confidence has grown and strengthened. If anyone deserves this vote its Mrs Parson! I know our family will always be thankful for all her special efforts with our son. ~Sara
Mrs. Pastirik – DJ Montague
- Mrs. Pastirik, engages our son consistently, creating an exciting and challenging educational environment. My son is very active and loves to be challenged; I feel Mrs. Pastirik does an outstanding job of working with each child, considering their strengths and weaknesses. She has a kind personality and I feel this is wonderful for my young, enthusiastic learner. ~Leslye C.
- She is awesome! She is easy to interact with and very caring. Her classroom is organized and fun. My son loves her and thinks the world of her. ~Kelly L.
- Kelly Pastirik is a loving and smiling teacher!! She is passionate when it comes to teaching her first graders. She always has a smile on and that smile is contagious. You see a smile on her students’ faces. They are so excited to come to school and see what Mrs Pastirick has planned for each day. She would be so ticketed to receive this surprise. Thank you for doing such wonderful things for the community. ~Kimberly K.
Mrs. Jessica Pearson – J. Blaine Blayton
- Jessica Pearson is a teacher at JBB in the Bright Beginnings Program. She is an excellent educator with a very caring and warm personality towards her students and parents. She is engaging and passionate about her students and her role in their development. Jessica is the type of teacher that children are naturally drawn to by her caring spirit, self confidence. She is truly an amazing teacher! ~T. Baird.
Mrs. Millie Pegram – Matthew Whaley
- Mrs. Pegram is an outstanding teacher who puts everything she has into teaching. She has shown so much enthusiasm for her students in learning this year. She is always involved with every detail. Any parent can communicate with her at any time to get updates or even advice. This month she was sick and out a few days, but it still did not stop her from being in communication. She is doing a phenomenal job at pushing my son just the right way and being caring at the same time. She’s number one and teacher of the year for that! ~Heather I.
Ms. Adriana Peratsakis – Matoaka Elementary
- Peratsakis really understands life through our children’s eyes. She knows their strengths and helps them excel, she knows their weaknesses and helps them improve. She encourages every child to be his/her best with customized instruction & personalized motivation. I’ve heard of other talented people who have remarkable gifts for understanding other people or animals like the “horse whisperer” & the “baby whisperer”. Ms Peratsakis truly is a “3rd grade whisperer”. ~Gayle D.
Mrs. Melanie Pesola – Matoaka Elementary
- Mrs. Pesola has a special place in our hearts. My son has “come out of his shell” this year. Mrs. Pesola has taught him the things she needs to teach him, but she has also taught him what he needs to learn in life. She has helped my son to learn how to deal with failures, which is important. Inevitably, we fail, but how we deal with them is what matters. Ethan is more confident and above all, happier. Teachers like Melanie teach from the heart. She has taken on helping parents raise their children. We are so grateful for her! ~Ivonne L.
- She took time out of her busy weekend (Grand Illumination weekend) to come see her student (my daughter) perform in a play. My daughter has an IEP for speech. Being able to perform a few lines on stage in front of an audience was a very big deal for her. Mrs. Pesola took several hours out of her weekend, a weekend that is at a crazy time of year, to support her. This was not a school event. She just recognized that it was a big deal for Sarah and wanted to support her. ~Kris B.
- I would love for Melanie Pesola to win the Teacher of the Month Award! Melanie is a caring teacher who is clear about her expectations while managing to instill a sense of fun in the classroom. Her students thrive because they know they are supported. Recently, Melanie noticed my son was struggling with some math concepts. She asked if my husband or I might be able to bring him in before school so that she could work one-on-one with him. She is devoted throughout the school day and is willing to give her own time to help her kids develop the skills they need to advance. I’m so appreciative. She could have chosen to let us know about the difficulties our son was having, but instead, Melanie took on the responsibility. I appreciate her kindness (whether it’s directed towards the students, staff or families)! Not only does Melanie manage to never waiver in her exceptional teaching abilities, but she never waivers in her generosity. Thank you, Melanie! ~Ivonne
- Mrs. Pesola is an excellent teacher who cares about her students. She has gone the extra mile in making sure that the parents are informed. ~Alice
Mrs. Peterson “Petey” – Greenwood Christian Academy
- Mrs Petey is always upbeat and radiates such an honest, loving warmth – my son adores her and has learned so much since the beginning of the school year. She is a a amazing person and influence – my son is always telling us stories about her and the things she has taught him, or the funny stories she has told the class about her own children or children she has taught in the past. She relates to the children and makes learning fun! We love her! ~Laura V.
Ms. Mary Beth Phaup – Lois S. Hornsby Middle School
- Ms. Phaup is a captivating teacher who is young of heart and really reaches her students with a gentle understanding heart. She is a shoe-in for Teacher of the Year!! ~Brandon F.
Mr. Pilipoom – Yorktown Elementary
- My daughter came from CA this year and she was one out of 20 something children in Mr. Pilipoom’s class. Because she was new to the school and we discovered she had issues. She read at a first grade level. Her math as well as everything else was not at grade level. He took my daughter and gave her rules and attention for 6 months then she was put in a different class. Will she was in his class her grade level rose dramatically. Even after she left his class he kept her in his tutoring group. She is approaching grade level today and it would not have happened without this magnificent teacher!!!! ~Jeffrey.
Mrs. Pittman – The Goddard School
- Mrs. Yvonne is incredibly patient and kind with all of the children. She has cared for both of mine as if they were her own! I love how she calls them all “sweet pea”. ~Evelyn S.
- Mrs. Yvonne has made my son’s first experience in a school setting amazing. He has developed a thirst for learning and a love for school that I have never seen in a child before. He is confident in what he is learning and does not hesitate to share daily what he has been taught. Mrs. Yvonne is compassionate about educating young minds. ~Michelle N.
Mrs. Tina Pitts – Stonehouse Elementary
- She gets the best out of every student with structure and kindness! ~Heather H.
- Mrs. Pitts is a phenomenal teacher that really pushes her students to be their best. She is very patient and giving, but she also demands excellence from her kids. Her students know they can speak freely to her and she helps them be confident in who they are, while instilling in them valuable lessons about learning and reaching their goals. My daughter is very shy and is hearing impaired. Her hearing aids have been a source of embarrassment for her. However, Mrs. Pitts has really helped my daughter be more confident in her abilities and her personality is really starting to come out in class. Mrs. Pitts has certainly addressed my daughters needs related to her hearing, but she has also not accepted her hearing loss as an excuse. She has helped my daughter understand that her hearing aids are part of who she is, and she should be exceptionally proud of her accomplishments despite this issue. I will never be able to thank Mrs. Pitts enough for her time, love, and commitment to my daughter, as well as to all of her students. ~Trish D.
- Mrs Pitts is a very organized, dedicated, loving teacher. She praises her students and pushes them to achieve their goals. We love Mrs. Pitts!! 🙂 ~Rachel M.
- Tina is such a creative teacher. She teaches in a way that makes learning fun. My son has come home with fun songs & phrases to help him remember key points. Her students love her. ~Dawna L.
- Mrs. Pitts is an amazing teacher that is so engaging in the classroom, and gives so much of her personal time to her students so that they will succeed. We could not ask for a more wonderful educator for our daughter. ~Jen.
- I am so thankful our daughter was placed with Mrs. Pitts this year. Mrs. Pitts’ passion for teaching shows in the relationships she builds with not only her students but their families as well. Communication in her classroom is very open if you stop in, email, text, or class she is always welcoming and/or prompt in replying. She is very organized and clear. She helps students strive for their best pushing them in a loving way. My daughter adores her and has made significant progress in the first semester of school. Mrs. Pitts goes above and beyond every day for her class. I have witnessed her collaborating with her fellow colleagues as a teacher leader as well. She is definitely an expert in building student relationships and pedagogy. She deserves this recognition for all of her efforts as an education professional. ~Kate C.
- Mrs. Pitts is awesome! She loves our children and is so encouraging! ~Pam N.
Mrs. Katie Plum – Matthew Whaley
- Mrs Plum has a classroom size of 27. She makes it a priority to be patient, kind, always versatile while teaching students of all levels in 3rd grade. She even tutors after school on her own time whenever any one of her students needs extra help! She is a rare find, & true gift to our family…& Matthew Whaley~ kudos to teachers who choose to reach for all the stars! ~Lynn M.
- Mrs. Plum is always willing to adapt to the needs of her students in order for them to be at their best. She makes learning fun and keeps order in her room with a smile on her face. She is what teaching should be like. ~Victoria S.
- Ms. Plum is wonderful! One of the first things she will do when you meet her is thank you or sharing your child with her. She is a strong teacher who challenges her students and makes them move forward, yet she is kind and flexible. She is amazingly creative and comes up with the best projects! Ms. Plum also uses her creativity to run the after school science club…kids love it. ~Maribel L.
- Both of our daughters have been fortunate enough to be taught by Mrs Plum. She has an amazing way of helping a class of 3rd graders find the excitement in learning, while creating a strong community of respect for one another. She challenges her students daily and encourages them along the way. Her articulate, patient, caring demeanor keeps the children engaged, yet calm. Mrs Plum guides them through in-depth, intelligent conversations about pertinent topics, often leading to even more questions. Through it all, she keeps the class on task and focused. We have loved all the teachers at Matthew Whaley, but the extra time Mrs Plum has taken to support our youngest has been extremely beneficial. We are very grateful for her experience and the care she takes every day. ~Nina S.
Ms. Leah Prezioso – Williamsburg Christian Academy
- Miss Prezioso is completely invested in her second grade students. She is excited about their learning and is constantly challenging them to reach higher goals. She goes above and beyond to know each of them personally and to meet their individual needs. She also works hard to engage and communicate with us as parents. I am so grateful for her impact on my child’s academic and spiritual growth! ~Laura L.
- I am so impressed with Ms. Prezioso this year! She has gone over and beyond any expectations I would have had for any teacher, much less a first year teacher. She has shown individual love, attention, and educational planning for my child. She constantly assesses how my child is doing and communicates specific ideas she has for my child’s success in the classroom. She is dedicated, creative, flexible, and a natural teacher. We have fallen in love with her! ~Sherry S.
- She is a young teacher who recognizes each student as an individual and helps them realize their strengths and improve their weaker areas. She makes students accountable to themselves and to each other for class success. ~Maureen E.
- Miss Prezioso is so full of positive energy and creative ways to engage each student in her class. She is able to get the kids really excited to learn. She has so many fun ways to motivate them. My child has never been so enthusiastic about school! Miss Prezioso has been a real blessing to her students and their families this year. We would love to see her efforts rewarded with this honor. ~Pam K.
- At the parent teacher’s conference, she demonstrated her passion and her devoted investment in the child, as if she was her own. ~Yinglong Z.
- Mrs. Prezioso is my daughter’s 2nd grade teacher at Williamsburg Christian Academy. She is new to our school this year and the children just love her. Ms. Prezioso has the children’s best interest at heart and they look forward to seeing her each day. ~Tami
- Miss Prezioso is incredible! She honestly cares for each and every child in her class and knows every detail of their day. She often sends me long emails at night, not just to fill me in on what my son could be doing better, but praising him and letting me know everything that he did great that day. what a joy to know that the person spending the day with your child loves them almost as much as you do! Dan has had many incredible teachers at Williamsburg Christian but Leah Prezioso is definitely a superstar even among this elite group. Her heart is made of gold and her cheerfulness is contagious! Her class is probably smaller than other school’s classrooms, so her votes here may not be as many as other teachers get, but she is the MOST incredible teacher in Williamsburg handsdown. Thanks! ~Stacey
- This is her first year teaching and she is already teaching like she has been doing it for years. She has compassion for her students. ~Kathy W.
- Brand new teacher, kids love her. ~Kim W.
Mrs. Patricia Pritchett – Matoaka Elementary
- Mrs Pritchett is amazing and has been teaching for many years. She wants learning to be fun with a goal of making every student excited to come to school in the morning. But she is also serious about education – she does not tolerate disrespect in her class! She loves to read and hopes to volunteer as a reader at senior centers when she retires. Her classroom is FILLED with butterflies (pictures, models, samples, displays, etc – butterflies are everywhere!)- which all of her students absolutely love. ~Tryna F.
Mrs. Raquel Proctor – Williamsburg Christian Academy
- Hardest working and most caring teacher I know! ~Sarah E.
- She goes above and beyond to learn the hearts of the kids she teaches. She is compassionate and creative. She thinks outside the box and the kids adore her. She really makes learning fun and as a parent, it’s wonderful to know that you child is truly loved for who they are when they are learning. ~Kim W.
- Mrs. Proctor is a kind and good teacher. She has a very challenging Gang of rambunctious 4th and 5th grade boys, but she remains in control and patient all the time! She is amazing! ~Jeff S.
Mrs. Sheila Race – Stonehouse Elementary
- Mrs. Race is simply the most fun teacher either of my kids have ever had. My son enjoys learning in her class every day! ~Gina K.
Mrs. Teresa Randall – Williamsburg Christian Academy, Kindergarten Teacher
- Mrs. Randall consistently engages her students through creative, hands on teaching. She creates jingles to help the children remember material such as the continents. On Inventors’ Day, each child invented their own creation and “made” it with supplies of their choosing such as tape, boxes, bottles, Pom poms. My daughter invented a “machine that blows puff balls”. She encourages the children to use their imagination. She genuinely cares about the students and even crocheted personalized ornaments for each child at Christmas. Mrs. Randall coaches the Eaglets cheerleaders and recently played a role in the school musical, Annie. Her dedication is evident every day.
Mrs. Abby Reynolds – Blayton Elementary
- Abby has been a wonderful asset to Blayton from its opening. She continues to selflessly give her time and talents to see the growth for all students. She exemplifies the attitude that while a student may be limited by learning difficulties, that student should NEVER be counted out. She meets with many teams often, yet her work with her co-workers does not stop at the end of the meeting. She gives a ton of time and effort outside of school to try to help teams achieve increased success for all students. Abby is always using best practices and informative ways to go about things in the classroom. Her love for students and their growth is definitely seen, even if her job description is quite chaotic. Her work with school-wide programs like Relay for Life, Autism Awareness month, and after-school programs show her selflessness and drive to make this school become better and better. ~Craig R.
Mrs. Trish Rice – Walnut Hills Baptist Church Learning Center
- Mrs. Trish is such a wonderful teacher. She is so patient and caring with all of her students. ~Kristy.
- Mrs. Trish is an awesome teacher. She has the most awesome personality. My daughter loves being in her class. Mrs. Trish deserves this. ~Kristy
- Trish Rice is an exceptional teacher. She goes above and beyond not only for her students but for the families. The kids are always engaged in hands on sensory learning experiences. For example – the kids were learning shapes and colors, as well as patience and waiting turns. So she created a kid sized candyland game where the kids were the game pieces and the game pieces went around the hallways. They then had gingerbread men for snack. My daughter talked about it all the way home. Hand on learning that engages my child – and it’s not just every now and then – it is everyday! All of my children will register for this preschool class because of the exceptional teachers! ~Erin H.
- The attention to every child is unbelievable! She knows exactly what each child needs to thrive and learn at school and openly involves parents to give each child the best start in their education. She is always happy, always has a smile on her face, and is always available for any need. I will never forget this memorable year and to honor her with this recognition publicly, would be the best “thanks for being such a great teacher!!” ~Melanie A.
Ms. Patricia Ridley – Jamestown High School
- I think Ms. Ridley should win because she puts her students first and is willing to sacrifice herself for others. Additionally, she knows her math. She takes the time to better her teaching skills in order to prepare students for what lies ahead. She stays after with students who need extra help. She works past her regular school hours. Her dedication to her students is admiring to the students. Her work ethic and enthusiasm to be the best she can be is inspiring. She has been my favorite teacher and I believe she is most deserving for this award. ~Anna W.
Mr. George Righter – York County School of the Arts
- Mr. Righter is not only an excellent technical theatre teacher for the students from WJCC and YCSD, but he is an excellent teacher of teachers. He takes his own time to build theatrical sets to support other schools’ drama programs and provide advice to theatre teachers. He spends his Friday nights and Saturdays holding workshops at school for his students and the spends his Sundays aiding other programs such as at Jamestown High, Yorktown Middle and Grafton Middle. He makes a difference in the lives of every student with whom he works. ~Michelle C.
Mrs. Ann-Marie Robertson – James River Elementary School, 1st Grade Teacher
- Thank you for your hard work and dedication to each and every one of your students.
Mrs. Robison – James River Elementary
- Mrs Robison was a great teacher for my grandson, Christopher, She would always take the time for her students. ~Shirley P.
Mrs. Nancy Rolon – Toano Middle
- Mrs Rolon is a god send! She is so sweet and loves her kids! My Son just loves her! She should win!! ~Tanya E.
Mrs. Russell – Toano Middle
- I am so grateful that my sixth grader has Mrs. Russell for English this year. She is a WONDERFUL teacher, and I’m very happy with the experience my son is having in her class. She is an excellent communicator, and I believe that she is not only teaching the students about English, but she also works on life skills and character building. She is definitely a mentor to my son, and he enjoys her class so much. Thank you for caring about the students so much, Mrs. Russell! ~Brandi L.
- Mrs. Russell really cares about her students. She checks in with former students to see how they are doing. My son, who really struggled with English, ended up moving on to an Honors English class after spending a year learning with Mrs. Russell. She has a love of reading and teaching and that really shows! ~Gina K.
Ms. Sarah Sams – J.B.Blayton
- Excellent teacher so calm but very energetic to get my son on the right path as he enters into school. I was always so scarred for that day to come to send my child to school because he had special needs, but ms sarah gives 100% each day to him and all the other children in the class to make sure everyone has a great day and wants to come back the next. I could have not dreamed of anyone more perfect to be my sons first teacher and I am so grateful he had Ms. Sams! ~Sarah D.
Mrs. Natalie Santabar – Matoaka Elementary
- Mrs. Santabar is a reading specialist at Matoaka. She has helped our son for 2 years with his reading. She has always been there for him. She has advocated for him and will not let him fail! We love her. ~Nancy B.
Mrs. Amanda Schmidt – Norge Elementary
- This is the first year my daughter has liked school. She seems to be improving in multiple subjects. She says her teacher is funny and nice & that helps her learn. ~Andrea S.
Mrs. Schofield – The Goddard School
- Mrs. Jessica and Mrs. Yvonne are an excellent team in helping to prepare 4& 5 year olds for their next step as kindergarteners. They are dedicated professionals who consistently & openly demonstrate their love for children. The children in the Eagles room are eager to go to school each day and greet both teachers with hugs upon entering the room. I am comforted as a parent knowing that my child is happy and under such excellent care. ~Joelle H.
- Ms. Schofield teaches in tandem with another outstanding teacher, Ms. Yvonne Pittman, and I would like to nominate this duo as a pair for the award! They work great together! ~Scott L.
- Jessica is amazing with the students. She is organized, fair, exciting and teaches them far more than what they need to know for Kindergarten. She is loved by her co-workers and parents. ~Jenny O.
- Mrs. Jessica has been very creative with bringing fun and educational activities into the classroom. She always has a smile on her face. ~Evelyn S.
- Ms Jessica runs a terrific classroom. creative, smart, caring and so much fun. We love her!! ~Catherine D.
- I would like to vote for both Jessica Schofield and Yvonne Pittman. I love both of these teachers. My son has significantly improved on everything since September and I am confident they have prepared him for Kindergarten. ~Kara B.
- I’m voting for Jessica Schofield and Yvonne Pittman, they are a package deal in the classroom. I can’t say enough amazing things about them both. Prior to beginning school my son was painfully shy and unsure of himself. Not long after joining Ms Jessica and Ms Yvonne’s class, he blossomed into this outgoing, funny, kind, intelligent little man. Both ladies are gentle, supportive and encouraging. I am so thankful his first experience with school has been such a positive one under their tutelage. ~Grae P.
- Mrs. Jessica and her assistant Mrs. Yvonne make an outstanding prek team! I see happy faces everyday going into school to see both of them and the children never like to miss school! From circle time to centers to outside time and handwriting the children always are having fun and learning at the same time. I would like to nominate Mrs. Jessica and Mrs. Yvonne for teachers of the month if possible! ~April M.
- I would like to nominate both Ms Jessica Schofield and Ms Yvonne Pittman from the Goddard School Pre-K classroom. They are wonderful teachers that have provided my daughter with not only an amazing educational experience, but have both provided warmth, love and nurturing in the classroom setting. I have seen growth in my daughter this year that I don’t believe I would have if it hadn’t been for their classroom style of teaching. My daughter is excited to go to school. She enjoys “extras” that they do for the class, including a “royal ball” and completing fun experiments. She is well prepared for kindergarten this fall, thanks to these two amazing teachers! ~Beth R.
Mrs. Schulker – Williamsburg Christian Academy
- Mrs. Schulker is one of the most fantastic math teachers I have ever known. Math is a difficult subject for many to learn, but her knowledge and ability to break down and explain algebra and other math concepts is exceptional. She has a tender heart and a love for helping kids understand one of the most difficult subjects. Recently she has moved back into Williamsburg and again teaching at Williamsburg Christian Academy. Kids in geometry were struggling with foundational aspects, but they have slowly started to see a change in their grades and understanding of the subject. Students wish to please her with showing effort and working hard because she is one of those teachers that you respect and love. Mrs. Schulker deserves to be teacher of the month, because as a WCA alumni, I will never forget her dedication to teaching mathematics and algebra. Her character and love to teach will forever leave a lasting impression in my life. ~Andrea J.
Mrs. Ro Seaman – Norge Elementary
- My 1st son, Anthony had Mrs. Ro a few years ago, now we are very fortunate to have her again this year for my second son, Joey. She is a woman who has not wavered from her goal of giving preschoolers the necessary tools to succeed when entering kindergarten. Even when budget cuts hit and negativity to the program ensued, she continues to provide the highest level of learning I have encountered in a teacher. Her high energy, out of the box teaching, caring way and silly hats that the children so proudly wear home are just a few of the reasons I love her! She has set the bar for me with other teachers and I am hoping that I will be lucky enough to encounter another like her. ~Betty P.
Mrs. Patty Seftas – Clara Byrd Baker
- Patty is the most warm and skilled teacher ever. She helps all her kids to learn in a loving and fun environment. We got so lucky when we got her as our 1st grade teacher. It is a pleasure to go in and volunteer in her room…she wants you to and I LOVE every minute of it. There is no teacher more deserving of this award than Mrs. Patty Seftas – We love her! ~Rachael C.
- She is a motivating inspiring teacher that instills the love of learning in each one of her students. ~Robin R.
Mr. Sepulveda – Lois S. Hornsby Middle School
- Mr. Sepulveda teaches Biology in 7th grade and he is one of the best teachers in the grade! He is funny and his classes are exciting and not boring at all! ~Jeffery S.
Mrs. Melissa Sessoms – DJ Montague
- My son looks forward to going to school each morning. This is in a large part due to Mrs. Sessom’s calm, organized teaching style. He tells me that she makes learning fun. What more could one hope for!? ~Kristina C.
Mrs. Heather Seltzer – Walsingham Academy
- Mrs. Heather Seltzer is a “new” teacher to Walsingham Academy this school year. She is a fifth grade teacher, as well as the social studies teacher for the fourth grade. As a mother of a fourth grader, I am nominating Mrs. Seltzer because of her ability to continue to challenge my son in the subject of social studies. Mrs. Seltzer has done an amazing job in her first year at the school teaching her students how to not just look for an answer or fact in a book, but also synthesize and use those facts to answer and expand upon tougher questions about the subject. She has taught her students best practices for taking notes and study skills. Mrs. Seltzer considers the different learning styles of her students. This was evident during the first quarter when the students were studying VA geography and created individual relief maps of the state with different colored play-doh. Fourth graders not only read and studied facts about the typography of the state, but could actually “feel” the difference in the various “zones” (i.e. mountains, coastal plains, etc.). During her unit on Jamestown, Mrs. Seltzer encouraged different styles of end-of-unit projects. Students were asked to create a physical depiction of a particular part of their study. My son couldn’t wait to create “The StarvingTime” with Legos, small wood pillars and fake snow. What a way to keep children engaged in the learning process! Thank you for your efforts! ~Heather C.
Mrs. Gina Simon – Norge Elementary
- Mrs. Simon is wonderful. She pulls the best out of the children that are in her class. She has inspired my daughter to read more. Previously, my daughter would read, but she didn’t enjoy it. Every night, now, she looks forward to reading her book that she brought home! I’ve also seen a big difference in her wanting to learn new things. That’s what teaching is all about: teaching the children to enjoy learning! ~Becky.
- She has so much energy for the children and treats them like their own. She makes the school a better place! ~Christina.
- Amazing, wonderful inspiring teacher. ~Tanya
Mrs. Kelly Skinner –Wallermill Elementary
- She’s always patient, kind and caring. She really takes an interest in all the kids in her class and makes them feel uniquely special!!! ~Tammy F.
- Mrs. Skinner, is a wonderful teacher! Mrs Skinner, embraces my wonderful son and his learning style. Each year my expectations for my children’s teaches are met and exceeded at Wallermill Elementary School! ~Sarah B.
Mrs. Maria Slavin – DJ Montague Elementary
- She on top of it! She gives feedback , guidance and a positive approach to me as a parent and makes me feel super comfortable that my child is getting what he needs daily. I’m confident that she knows each students role in the classroom and she knows each students strength and weakness. ~Michele B.
Mrs. Rachael Smethurst – Matoaka Elementary
- The kids love her! She makes learning fun and always has a smile on her face. We are lucky having a teacher who loves seeing young minds grow. ~Dana K.
Mrs. Sue Sodow – Matoaka Elementary
- We have known for years that Mrs. Sydow is a wonderful teacher, but this year, my daughter has been able to learn first hand just how amazing she is. She makes learning an adventure and keeps the students on their toes throughout the entire day. Science and math have become fun, and Kayleigh’s ability to retain information through clever songs and unique learning devices are so encouraging. We love Mrs. Sydow and think she should absolutely be Teacher of the Month! ~Kim L.
Ms. Sherrie Spalhtoff – Stonehouse Elementary
- My daughter tells me on a weekly basis how much she loves her teacher and has said she loved all of her other teachers too but this one the best so far!!! ~Jessie.
Mr. John Spence – Matoaka Elementary
- Mr. Spence is positive, supportive, creative, and has high expectations. His students just love him. ~Amy B.
Mrs. Susan Spratt – Walller Mill Elementary
- Mrs. Spratt is a very enthusiastic and wonderful teacher. She has helped my children so much just in the past 2 weeks. Her encouragement is helping my daughter come out of her shell, to have the best school experience and make learning fun! She should be teacher of the month. ~Hollie J.
Mrs. Dawn Stokes – James River Elementary
- Mrs. Stokes is extremely passionate about teaching and therefore, instills a passion for learning in her students. She goes above and beyond expectations, buys hot cocoa and classroom supplies for her students. It is evident that she is always thinking about her students. I cannot say enough about how grateful we are to have her as my daughter’s teacher! ~Maria D.
Mrs. Strawn – Matoaka Elementary
- Mrs. Strawn is an amazing teacher who engages students and challenges them to do their best. She is creative and draws creative thinking from her classes. ~Kay B.
Ms. Lauren Tappan – DJ Montague Elementary
- Kind, compassionate and very intelligent. She is a wonderful person and teacher and works hard to keep parents informed and included in classrooms. ~Kami B.
Mrs. Jayne Taylor – Magruder Elementary
- Mrs. Taylor is an excellent teacher. She shows respect and kindness to all her students, while teaching and encouraging each student to their abilities. ~Linda R.
Ms. Majorie Thrash – Berkeley Middle
- Majorie Thrash is very interactive and supports the parents, as well as, the students. She works hard and is always very pleasant and positive. She shows her enthusiasm with all the projects and fun activities but even more so in the classroom with academics. She dresses nice and relates to all of us in a respectful manner which is why I feel the students respect her. She helps us when we do not understand and is active with hockey and other elective activities with our school. I just feel that we do well because she helps us and actually loves her students and it shows. ~Grace Childs.
Ms. Nicole Throckmorton – Warhill High
- She is very understanding and caring about our assignments and projects. ~Taylor
Mrs. Cara Townsend – Bruton High School
- Mrs. Townsend is my band teacher at Bruton High school. Many of us consider her as a friend rather then a teacher because she inspires us daily. Through our performances and practices she has taught us many great life lessons. For each show she chooses, she makes sure we will get and educational value out of it so that we can reflect back on the show and learn life skills from it. Mrs.Townsend deserves to be the best teacher award because she dedicates so much time to all of her band students and other students throughout Bruton. ~Christina S.
Mrs. Sarah Tremblay – Stonehouse Elementary
- I am nominating my wife. Sarah is the best Special Education teacher I have ever met. She teaches at Stonehouse Elementary in a self-contained classroom. She is a dedicated professional who loves her students and is never afraid to advocate what is best for them. She prepares lessons for multiple grade levels and ability levels at once. Her students consistently improve in their skill levels each year. She focuses on life skills and teaching self discipline to her students. Former students always love to give hugs when she sees them again. ~Erik T.
Ms. Andrea Turner – Matoaka Elementary
- Tireless, dedicated and phenomenal are some of the words I would use to describe Ms Turner. Despite having a fairly large class of children she works hard to ensure that each child’s individual needs are met. When my son had the flu she arranged to come into work early to spend individual time with him to help him catch up on the work he’d missed! ~Niki W.
- My son has blossomed in Mrs. Turner’s class this year. He has always struggled with figuring out just how HE could succeed in school. While he had the curiosity and desire to learn he was missing the tools to access his potential. Mrs Turner, “gets me Mom. She’s nice when we deserve it and stern when we deserve it” Under her guidance he is being recognized for what has always been there. He is tasting educational success because this one teacher cares enough and has the skill and devotion to work with my son in an effective, constructive nurturing classroom she works tirelessly to make a home for her students. ~Joy S.
Mrs. Valerie Tyson -YMCA Child Development Center
- Mrs. Tyson is my son’s Pre-K teacher and taught my daughter 3 years ago. She is patient and kind and works hard everyday to make sure that her kids are ready for kindergarten. The children all love and respect her and learn so much, not only about ABCs and 123s but also how to treat their classmates and solve life’s everyday problems. She has been teaching Pre-K for over 20 years and made a difference in so many children’s lives. One of Mrs. Tyson’s new assistants had Mrs. Tyson as her Pre-K teacher. This young woman is going to school in the fall to get a degree in early childhood education so that she can teach Pre-K as well. She’s had a wonderful role model and mentor in Mrs. Tyson. ~Elizabeth S.
- Mrs. Tyson is the one of the sweetest people I know. She loves and cares for each child in her class and always comes to work and gives 110%. She is the crown jewel of our center! ~Jennifer T.
- Mrs. Tyson has lovingly prepared two of our children very well for Kindergarten. Her teaching resonates with students and allows them to be creative while also being mindful of others. She has taught our kids how to interact kindly with others – especially when on the receiving end of undesired behaviors. Her graduation ceremonies are the best showcase for the kids’ hard work and performance. She values each child’s spirit and fosters a love of learning in each one. ~Rachel M.
- What can’t I say about Mrs. Tyson! she is awesome! She has been teaching for over 25 years and knows how to engage the children, and give them the tools they need for kindergarten. My son is currently in her class! He loves her so much! She gives the class everything they need to be ready for kindergarten! ~Michelle T.
- Mrs. Tyson is an exceptional teacher, I have witnessed her teach with compassion and patience. She has a true gift when it comes to teaching kids. She gives them a sense of worth and accomplishment that is priceless. She not only teaches the fundamentals to kids but also teaches them the importance of respecting others. ~Samantha M.
- Mrs. Tyson has been a pre K teacher for over 20 years at this child development center in Colonial Williamsburg. She has helped and nurture these children. She puts here heart and soul into her teaching, and is a very kind and loving women. ~Shelly E.
- Mrs. Tyson is a very deserving candidate for the Teacher of the Month Award. She is a caring teacher who has provided a very solid foundation for hundreds of children over a span of 25 years. I have seen my granddaughter blossom this year. She loves Mrs. Tyson!!! ~Phyllis W.
- She is very caring and loving, yet has a heart to know self control for children is also an attribute to learn. The children know that she cares by her voice and manner. She teaches skills for life and for learning in basic education. ~Debbie R.
- Words can not describe what a great teacher Mrs. Tyson is to the students. She makes every child and parent feel at ease while we are in her classroom. She always has fun activities. ~Marcy R.
- Since my daughter switched schools and joined Mrs. Tyson’s class it has been nothing short of amazing to watch her positive transformation. Each day she is excited to get to school and excited to tell us what she learned at the end of the day. We often have to pull her out of her classroom when school is over because of the loving and encouraging environment Mrs. Tyson has created. Our daughter is years ahead of where my wife and I were at her age mainly due to Mrs. Tyson’s dedication. ~Matt R.
Mrs. Crystal Van Kirk – Providence Classical
- Mrs. Van Kirk makes it her job to educate the whole child. Aside from the amazing academic growth my son is experiencing, Mrs. Van Kirk is also nurturing his heart, his moral development, his spiritual growth, and his self confidence. As a parent, I feel her warmth and delight in knowing that she is shining her sunny self on her students every day. ~Amy A.
- Mrs. Van Kirk has the biggest heart. She is so understanding and full of grace. She is able to push the students to do their best and challenge them with the ability to know just how far to push. More importantly for me, she takes my child as an individual and doesn’t compare him to the others, though she seldom has time for individualized attention. She has seen things of concern that I had not noticed at home, such as, a possible vision problem. She was giving of her time and willing to meet with me after school and go over all that she had observed in such a loving way. My child is so very observant. At times he has such a difficult time focusing on the task at hand. He’d rather study the new picture on the wall and wonder why it’s there. She has such a gift with roping him back in, when he typically pushes back. He has learned so much this year. I contribute that to Mrs. Van Kirk, due to her passion for teaching, love of children & ability to identify each child’s strengths & weaknesses. She has an amazing way of encouraging them. I love knowing he is in her care every day. ~Kelly D.
Mr. Kris VanDeusen – Matthew Whaley Elementary
- Mr. V, as the students call him is a great teacher to my kids. He challenges them not only in learning, but on making the right decisions about social situations as well! He is a great asset to Matthew Whaley! ~Tracie S.
Mrs. Sherry Vandigriff – Berkley Middle School
- I wish I could vote for all of my sons’ 6th grade teachers but I had to choose one so I chose Mrs. Vandigriff. She has really been a huge help with my sons’ transition to 6th grade. She has called, emailed and visited with me on several occasions to try to get him on the right track without ever getting frustrated losing track. She gave me her personal cell phone number and told me to call anytime and has even came up with ideas to try to help my son better himself and show his potential! ~Michelle R.
Mrs. Bonnie Wade – Rawls Byrd Elementary
- Ms. Wade has taught both my children and her patience and dedication with kindergarteners is amazing. ~Tracy H.
Mrs. Dawn Waible – Clara Byrd Baker Elementary
- Ms. Waible is very patient with her students and she makes them each feel special every day! ~K. Maharty.
Ms. Jennifer Walker – Magruder Elementary
- She has captured my daughter’s attention with her wonderful science lessons. ~Jeri G.
Mrs. Chris Walker – Family Focus
- Mrs. Chris and Mrs. Laurie at Family Focus are so awesome with our children! They help them learn in fun and exciting ways and our daughter Nataile always comes home eager to share what she did for the day! Thank you for being such motivational teachers! ~Krystal A.
Mrs. Angel Washington – DJ Montague Elementary
- Everyone has that “one” teacher they remember. My daughter will forever remember Mrs. Washington as the teacher that inspired her to read. She was patient and took the time to find and then order books specifically based on my daughter’s interests. When she came home with 3 books and was so excited to start reading — I was so impressed! ~Kim R.
- Mrs. Washington is the 4th grade lead teacher at DJ Montague. She works hard everyday to make sure each of her students in her class, as well as the entire 4th grade are reaching their full potential no matter their skill level. She is passionate about her work with the students, caring and supportive in anything the student might need to succeed. ~Deborah H.
- Mrs. Washington is extremely supportive of the children and communicates well with the parents. Having school-aged children of her own – she understands all of the demands that are placed on their – and their parents – time during the week. An excellent teacher and I hope that others can follow her lead. ~Scott R.
- Mrs. Washington is wonderful educator who is dedicated to make sure each of her students has every opportunity to learn. She is well planned, organized, and genuinely cares for each of her students. ~Lindsay L.
Mrs. Meredith Watkins – Matthew Whaley Elementary
- Meredith Watkins is an inspiration to all who meet her. She devotes herself to her students and her career. She deserves it! ~Amy E.
Ms. Kathy Watson – Williamsburg Christian
- She is so patient and loving with my son who seems to be experiencing some sensory integration issues. In example, at the start of the school year, he was bothered by the grass outside when the class went out to sit in the grass for class. Instead of getting frustrated she had him start carrying a carpet square out. She’s taken the time to help him find solutions in the situations that bother him and helped him with expressing his feelings of irritation. She’s just simply a very loving teacher and I am so grateful our son has her this year. ~Robin O.
- Her patience has no end! She has mostly energetic boys in her class, and mine is one of them! He loves her class, and I even have a hard time getting him to leave in the afternoons. He is a nature lover, too, and she gets right down in the dirt with him! ~Allison R.
- We LOVE Ms. Watson! My daughter has made astounding progress in reading and writing in just the first couple of months of the school year, and I know that it is all thanks to her teacher’s skilled and creative teaching techniques. Because of her, the students are excited about learning. Ms. Watson also places high importance on the students’ social and spiritual growth. My daughter is not only learning important academic lessons in the classroom, but she is also learning how to be a kind friend who sees the good in others and interacts responsibly with classmates — and her faith in God is growing immensely. This is because she has an amazing teacher to look up to and learn from. Ms. Watson deserves to be recognized as Teacher of the Month for sure! ~Laura L.
Mrs. Valerie Way – Stonehouse Elementary
- She is dedicated to her students and volunteers her time before school to give extra help to her students. ~Daphne G.
Mr. Mike Weidinger – Queens Lake Middle
- Mr. Weidinger is my son’s 6th grade Advanced Foundations of Algebra teacher. His teaching methods are very creative which keeps the children engaged and really helps them understand the sometimes difficult subject matter. Every day he knows how every child in his class is doing and whether they understand the lesson for that day. He makes the kids give him an “exit pass” as they leave his room. If they give him a square, it means they are squared away and good to go. If they give him a triangle, it means they are pointed in the right direction but need a little more help. If they give him a circle, it means the new material is swirling around in their head and they can’t grasp it. Depending on the responses, he will either reteach that section or make himself available to those that need help. He has “lunch bunch” in his class room every day and all of his students are welcomed so that they can review or get extra help. If a student get less than an 80% on a test/quiz, they are required to attend until the next test/quiz that they pass with an 80% or better. For parents that may struggle with helping their kids with their math homework, he will also make himself available to explain the lesson to them without making them feel unintelligent. He is the first one to arrive in the morning and the last one to leave in the evening. I recently found out that Mr. Weidinger has only been teaching for three years and I couldn’t believe it. He certainly comes across as someone who has been doing this for years! ~Sandi F.
Ms. Tamara West – Rawls Byrd Elementary
- Ms. West is an Amazing teacher who thinks outside the box with creative ways to get the students excited about learning. She sees each child as an individual and treats them with respect. She truly holds them accountable , fosters a classroom that is filled with respect, fairness, kindness & learning.
Mrs. Debbie Westmoreland – James River Elementary
- She does everything right. Her attitude towards her school, education, children, and parents is one that comes with experience. Remarkably, she doesn’t seem like any of the daily grind or challenges get to her. My child loves going to school. I didn’t think that day would ever come! ~Lori R.
Mrs. Cathy Weston – J.B. Blayton
- She taught my son in first grade and then again in third grade. She is amazing. When you walk into her room at any given time, every child is working on the task at hand. She shows so much caring and respect for each child and in return, they respect her and want to do their very best. She has a soft, gentle voice and brings out the best in each child no matter what their strengths or weaknesses may be. My son is no longer in her class, but she will always hold a place in his heart. When buying gifts for any festive occasion, she is always first on his list. To me, that speaks volumes. ~Karyn R.
Mrs. Marsha White – Walsingham Academy
- This is without a doubt the most amazing teacher I have EVER encountered. Her true passion is the children and she has made my daughter the happiest girl ever this year with her love and energy! ~Ashley E.
Mrs. Lori Williams – James River Elementary
- Mrs. Williams is kind but firm, with all of the children in her class. You can see that she cares for them greatly and does a wonderful job teaching them. ~Nancy K.
- Mrs. Williams really challenges the kids to reach their full potential. She shows up at their extra curriculum activities to show support. ~Tanya T.
- Mrs. Williams is a firm but fair teacher who really cares for her students’ well-being both in school and personally. She is there to support them and we appreciate her so much! ~Nancy K.
Ms. Kristina Williams – Berkeley Middle
- Ms. Williams is a special ed teacher at Berkeley Middle school. She runs a self-contained classroom. I doubt you would find a teacher that spends more time working, thinking and trying out different strategies to insure her kids remain successful and confident as students. Middle school, in of its self, is a turbulant time for alot of kids. Ms Williams works very hard to create that stable environment for her kids to be able to process and stay focused on their studies. i give my vote a hundred times to he ability as a teacher, mentor and partner to her students and Families she works with at Berkeley. Thank you Ms Williams! ~Jennifer H.
Ms. Monica Williams – Warhill High School
- Ms. Williams will be teacher of the month because of her holistic style of teaching. She incorporates currents events, social challenges, literature, and quotes to develop a lessons that can engaged the mind of all each student. She is a mentor, guide, and encourager for her students. ~Robert W.
Mrs. Linda Woodard – Rawls Byrd Elementary
- Mrs. Woodard is a role model teacher. She is dedicated to educating the precious little wonders she’s entrusted with each day. It’s clear she works tirelessly to prepare her students for all that the world expects from them at such a young age. ~Amy K.
Mrs. Karin Woodrum – Lafayette High School
- Karin is the most dedicated teacher to her students success that I know of. She is an above and beyond teacher. ~John P.
- Mrs Woodrum is an excellent teacher who goes way beyond what is needed to make sure her students have a class they can learn an excel to new levels. ~Brenda.
Mrs. Linda Woolwine – Toano Middle
- She has been a great teacher for my son and heard she is retiring after this year. She will be missed. ~John T.
Mrs. Zanka – Matthew Whaley
- She has taught 3 of my grandchildren, and for that, teacher of the month is the least she should get! ~Robert G.
Mrs. Zimak – King on Glory Preschool
- Mrs. Zimak is AMAZING with all the kids and shares a wealth of knowledge and love for each individual child. We LOVE her!! ~Lisa O.