A moment of introduction….
My name is Dr. Daniel Roth, and I am a chiropractic physician and owner of Williamsburg Neck and Back Center located in New Town of Williamsburg, VA. In our office, we treat musculoskeletal conditions of the head, neck and back with technologically advanced chiropractic care and therapeutic massage. We pride ourselves on getting our patients out of pain very quickly and affordably, without the use of medications or surgery. After resolving the initial neck or back issue, our goal is to help prevent this pain from reoccurring again. I compiled a list of some of the most general ways that one can help to keep their neck and back healthy and trouble-free.
- Stretch Daily. Stretching your muscles will help to take pressure off of surrounding joints, thus causing less irritation to the joints when performing daily activities.
- Try to reduce repetitive stress. (For example: If your job requires you to sit for long periods of time, make sure to stand up, walk around, and take frequent breaks.)
- Keep your neck and back muscles strong. By keeping your muscles strong, they will carry the load when you are performing activities. For example, when you bend over to pick something up, the stronger your back is, the less stress you will place on your spine.
- Keep the weight down. When overweight, the neck and back are constantly being used and causing consistent wear and tear on the structures that have to support the extra load.
- Make sure your mattress is not outdated. Many people try to hold on to their mattress way too long. Once a mattress starts to wear, it can create havoc on the neck or back while sleeping.
- Focus on posture when sitting, bending, or performing daily activities. This will help to minimize overall damage to your neck and back. (Call our office if you are interested in a complimentary digitized posture analysis (757) 345-6562)
There is always a point when you just can’t do everything yourself, and you may need some professional help. I commonly tell people, I can try to fix my car myself, but a mechanic can fix it a lot faster and better. If you are already suffering from neck or back pain that just isn’t improving, it may be time to get it checked out and fixed. A large number of my patients tell me, I should have come to you years ago!