Virginia Institute of Marine Science
Virginia Institute of Marine Science (VIMS) is one of the leading marine research & education centers in the U.S. VIMS is located on the York River in Gloucester Point, VA.
After Hours Lecture Series — Monthly lectures 7-8:00pm. Reservations to this free public lecture series are required due to limited space. Call 804-684-7061 for further information.
- January 25 – Living Shorelines – Join us as Karen Duhring, coastal scientist with the Center for Coastal Resources Management at VIMS, describes different types of living shorelines that may be an option for the places you live and play. Arrive early to explore related items in the Exploration Station (opens at 6:30pm). Geared to an adult audience (ages 10+ welcome). No charge. Register here.
- February 22 – Romance Under the Waves – In the spirit of Valentine’s Day, Dr. Jeff Shields will enlighten us on the variety of ways marine animals reproduce. The passing on of genes is an all-consuming task in the animal world, and marine animals have fascinating ways to ensure their genetic legacy. Geared to an adult audience. No charge. Register here.
Discovery Lab — The monthly Discovery Lab series provides fun, family-friendly experiences and lifelong learning. Each lab focuses on a specific topic through a series of stations that provide hands-on activities for kids and adults. Labs run 6-8 pm with a speaker at 6:30 pm. Free and open to the public but registration is required. Register here!
- January 16, 2018 – Marine Technology
- February 20, 2018 – Predatory Fishes
- March 20, 2018 – March Madness
- April 17, 2018 – Be a Bay Buddy