“Action at Wilson’s Warf” at Fort Pocahontas on the James River.
13150 Sturgeon Point Road, Charles City, Virginia 23030
June 3-4, 2023
On Saturday, June 3rd and Sunday, June 4th, 2023, the May 24, 1864 victory of United States Colored Troops over attacking Confederate Cavalry comes to life in the “Action at Wilson’s Wharf” at Fort Pocahontas on the James River.
Located between Richmond and Williamsburg, the fort will be open from 10am to 4pm on Saturday and 10am to 3pm on Sunday.
- Battles Both days
- Living History
- Civil War Camps
- Cavalry Drills
William B. Tyler, great-grandson of 10th U.S. President John Tyler and proprietor of the fort, invites
the public to the annual reenactment.
Joe Funk, the great-nephew and first-person presenter of Brigadier General Godfrey Weitzel, the fort engineer, commands the event.
Each year we remember the contribution of US Colored Troops to the Federal war effort, and we honor a turning point in our nation’s history when USCTs were tested in battle, becoming symbols of freedom and strength for future generations.
- Spectators have the opportunity to tour camps within the well-preserved fort.
- Battle reenactments take place each afternoon.
- Sutlers offer reproductions of Civil War-era merchandise.
- Period music provided by Harken Back String Band.
- Food vending by Don Chido food truck.
- Other family-friendly living history activities include
- a scavenger hunt,
- a meet-and-greet with mounted cavalry
Attendees are asked to dress comfortably for the weather. Lawn chairs are permitted. No pets.
- CHARLES CITY COUNTY RESIDENTS FREE with ID REGULAR RATES
- Non Charles City Residents: $10 per adult and $8 per student per day / Discounts for groups of 10 or more
- Tickets sold on site at 13150 Sturgeon Point Road, Charles City, Virginia 23030 (Cash or Check only)
- Proceeds support preservation efforts at Fort Pocahontas Ltd a 501(c)(3) charitable organization
Learn more: http://www.fortpocahontas.org/