The City of Williamsburg asks families of children intending to go door-to-door on Halloween on October 31, to observe the following time and age restrictions and other safety measures:
- Hours: 6-8 pm for children 12 years of age and under
- Pick brightly colored costumes or add your own reflective tape so motorists can see them.
- Attach your child’s name, address, and phone number somewhere inside the costume.
- An adult should always accompany children under age 12.
- Plan the route your children are going to take.
- Make sure your children don’t eat any candy or food without checking with you first.
- Make sure your children have flashlights, especially if they’re staying out after dark.
- Establish an appropriate curfew for children to return home.
- Teach your children to stay on the sidewalks and cross only at corners.
- Teach your children to look, listen and be aware of cars not stopping at corners.
- Teach your children to go only to houses with porch lights on and never to enter anyone’s house.
- Keep your walkway free of debris so that children coming to your house won’t trip or fall.
- If you’re driving, please be mindful of the trick-or-treaters.
- Report suspicious incidents to police immediately.
More safety tips and guidelines are available at cdc.gov/family/halloween/